least invasive artificial nail solution

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Charles Mokotoff

least invasive artificial nail solution

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:11 pm

For some reason the last few months I just cannot grow a good thumbnail, it wears down or just doesn't grow in like the others. Every artificial solution I've tried has some drawbacks.

1. Ping pong ball...easy to put on, sounds great, but as nail grows out, it can become an issue later on down the road
2. Fake nail from salon...definitely messes up the natural nail, weakens it, forces you to stay with it basically forever
3. Reinforcing natural nail with silk/glue: this should keep the nail from wearing but also seems to actually weaken the natural nail
4. Rico nail...no thanks, don't want the on and off dance

I haven't tried a fiberglass reinforcing solution, which I suspect will be just like number 3 above but probably stronger.
Jason V. seems to have accepted using number 1 forever and it okay with it, I'd love to not have to do that, but will probably default that way unless I can figure something else out.

I know we been around this one before, but any one who has some other novel ideas...please chime in.

Thanks!

Erik Zurcher

Re: least invasive artificial nail solution

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 pm

My m-nail is weaker/thinner than my other nails. For years I go to a nearby nail salon where they apply a layer on top. I have no idea what is, but it's a white powder dissolved in methylated spirit and applied with a broad brush. It doesn't weaken or affects the natural nail underneath.
The Vietnamese salon owner told me that he has several classical guitar clients.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:55 pm

For some reason the last few months I just cannot grow a good thumbnail, it wears down or just doesn't grow in like the others. Every artificial solution I've tried has some drawbacks.
I have the same problem with my thumbnail... so I use drugstore fake press-on nails (my nails are too small for Ricos)... they come with these glue "tabs" similar to the ones that come with Ricos, but the big difference is that they're meant to stay on for several days, even if they get wet. They're not damaging like salon acrylics or liquid super-glue type nail glue. Use them with any fake nail you already have (Rico, or Guitar Player Nails). If you have a large thumbnail you may have to use two tabs. They're very easy to put on using tweezers. After several days of playing you'll notice the nail starting to lift: gently slide it off your natural nail (don't pull up). Wash, remove residue with an orange stick and a wipe of rubbing alcohol, and your natural nail stays healthier. I get up to a week's wear with this, though I like to remove the nail for a night before putting a new one on.

You can buy them on Amazon: look for Nailene Ultra Adhesive Tabs. They look kind of pink but they're actually clear.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:01 am

Go to a nail salon and get a soft gel treatment. (It's not really soft... just softer and more flexible than the old hard acrylic gels.) This sounds like what Eric Zurcher is getting. It needs to be reapplied every 3 weeks.

You will be totally amazed.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:54 am

Thanks all. The salon solution is tempting. But I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the natural nail. That seems the requirement of going that route.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:31 pm

Taking supplements and rubbing liquid Vitamin E on my nails, easily found at major pharmacies, have improved them. Look up Beechwood Canyon Naturally and a product called Biosil. Also just do a search for biotin and you'll find a number of choices that are readily available. It wouldn't hurt to take some extra Vitamin C.
Hauser III 2014!

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:Thanks all. The salon solution is tempting. But I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the natural nail. That seems the requirement of going that route.
I would try the salon. Unless you are the rare individual born with perfect nails, you will get better and more consistent tone. Your nails will never break or crack. They remain flexible and feel completely natural. You can have them buffed to a matte finish so they look just like your normal nails, and if you don't like them, it takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes at the salon to have the gel removed and go back to completely natural. As I said, you will be amazed.

Note - Be sure to get a soft gel treatment...not a hard gel treatment. They are very different. With hard gel, your nails are rigid and lack feeling, and it's very hard to remove. Hard gel needs an electric grinder to get it off and even then it can't be completely removed without taking off some of your natural nail.

Charles Mokotoff

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Thank you again for this vote of confidence in the salon. I have had two experiences, both times the false nail was great, it was i m or a. Not p.
First time the dumbo cut me under my nail with her tool, it hurt to play for weeks.
Next time, when my nail grew out and I removed it, the natural nail was weak for a long time.

So...bit gun shy is all.. :)

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Best solution...Prescription nails. Trouble is few nail salons have them but have to believe you can find one in DC area. They glue it on over your existing nail and they are custom fit to your nail bed. much better for your nail than the other fake ones they offer. it stays on beautifully and great tone. My thumb nail is good but i nose them on my IMA and swear by them...Last about 2 weeks on my fingers as they grow out but thumb might last longer say 3 weeks. I get terrific tone with them as they are shaped perfectly not hooked or flat but a perfect curve. Then you just file and polish like your regular nails.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Charles Mokotoff wrote:Thank you again for this vote of confidence in the salon. I have had two experiences, both times the false nail was great, it was i m or a. Not p.
First time the dumbo cut me under my nail with her tool, it hurt to play for weeks.
Next time, when my nail grew out and I removed it, the natural nail was weak for a long time.

So...bit gun shy is all.. :)
Soft gel is not a false nail. It's a strong but flexible resin coating for your nails. It gets brushed on like nail polish and let's you grow/file your natural nails to whatever shape/length you want.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:47 pm

I have tried both and Prefer the Prescription nails...But hard to find.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Dofpic wrote:I have tried both and Prefer the Prescription nails...But hard to find.
Curious why you like Prescription nails. To me they seemed a little stiffer (less feeling) without any gain in durability. What has been your experience. (I get if if you have really short or damaged nails.)

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:08 pm

Much better tone as they are curved or arched perfect for that IMO. Never a problem with wear as I rarely play a lot of bass not passages with IMA. I file my regular nail down to the flesh each time I go to the salon so I can get a full 2 weeks out of them. Also a nail file with the typical 7 different edges you get at any CVS or Walgreens keeps them polished shaped just fine. Only have to do them no more than once a day or twice at most.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 am

You said that it is only in the last few months that you've had this problem. Has anything in your life changed in that time: new diet, new medication, new washing products, etc, that might be influencing the health of your nail? Did you bang your thumb against something that might have caused damage of some sort? You say that the nail wears down or doesn't grow in: does it look or feel different than it used to? It seems odd, if it is a new problem that you've never experienced.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:20 am

Jack Douglas wrote:Taking supplements and rubbing liquid Vitamin E on my nails, easily found at major pharmacies, have improved them. Look up Beechwood Canyon Naturally and a product called Biosil. Also just do a search for biotin and you'll find a number of choices that are readily available. It wouldn't hurt to take some extra Vitamin C.
That is a really good idea! I will have to try this myself, thanks for posting. :merci:

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”