least invasive artificial nail solution

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Charles Mokotoff

Re: least invasive artificial nail solution

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:42 pm

Lovemyguitar wrote:You said that it is only in the last few months that you've had this problem. Has anything in your life changed in that time: new diet, new medication, new washing products, etc, that might be influencing the health of your nail? Did you bang your thumb against something that might have caused damage of some sort? You say that the nail wears down or doesn't grow in: does it look or feel different than it used to? It seems odd, if it is a new problem that you've never experienced.
Good thinking to suggest suspecting a change. I can't think of anything really. Its possibly related to how I file the nail. There have been times (not recently obviously!) when the thumbnail, despite my couple hours of daily practice is just too long and freaky looking. Possibly when I bring it down (always on the side that doesn't touch the strings) I am doing something that weakens it, not sure. I also wonder about the wisdom of putting glue and sometimes silk plus glue on as a prophylactic measure to prevent wear. It might backfire actually weakening the nail. Hard to imagine what else it might be.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 pm

The flamenco players taught me to apply a couple of drops of super glue on the nail tip (not where the bed starts) and use facial tissue to build the nail up. This won't weaken the nail, and, with experience, will become easy to do, applying in layers, letting it dry, and filing and sanding it down a bit. You will still be using the edge of the real nail for tone production, but the glue/tissue reinforcement will help prevent breakage and slow the wear.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:14 pm

What about trying something like this (as an alternative to glue/gel/etc): buy some of those "butterfly finger picks" (a google search will give you info. I have never used them, so I can't provide any feedback on what they're like). If you use one of those picks on your thumb for a few weeks, it will allow you to file your thumb nail all the way down, and let it regrow, without putting any stress on your nail. Then, at least you'll be able to see if it can grow out in a healthy way.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:17 pm

I bought a bottle of soft gel nail polish from a supermarket website (the biggest UK one) - cost £5.50
And a UV LED torch from the big river - £1.50
Then I applied a thin coat to my problem thumb nail and cooked it for 2 minutes under the UV torch.
Then I looked on the internet for why it was still tacky and found that I needed to use methelated spirit to wipe the top surface off... and underneath there was the hardened gel fixed to my nail.

Now I have a super-strong thumb nail.

I just need to wait for it to grow. It's been a week now and not much sign of growth. But the nail gel hasn't worn off or chipped at all.
So I'm hopeful.

I chose a colour called "Zillionaire" - clear with sparkly bits. But they probably make it in quieter shades.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:05 pm

I just bought a couple of the Butterfly thumb picks. They looked like a good solution while I'm growing out a very weak thumbnail.

So far, it's not a bad solution! I like it better than more traditional thumb picks or an Alaska pick, because I can use my thumb without any adjustment to the movement and the pick strikes the string pretty much as my natural nail would.

I bought two "small" thumb Butterflies, and had to adjust them quite a bit to fit -- surprising, as my thumb is small, and yet the pick is almost too small! Still, I can get a more balanced sound -- so far. Works well for both free and rest strokes, but I'm finding it's best if I use a band-aid to secure it to my thumb.

Tone is surprisingly good. Good so far for practice, but if I had to perform, I'd put on an artificial nail.
Last edited by celestemcc on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

vattila

Post by vattila » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:23 pm

I have tried some brands of nail varnish but none of them was as satisfying as 'Healthy Hoof' protein treatment, i use it once or more a day and it does make my nails thicker and stronger. I sometimes use 'Mavala scientifique nail hardener' on the end of the nails which makes it really tough, i can't wish for stronger nails :-)

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:46 am

Charles

Don't give up on your natural nails. Try taking MSM power every day. Half to one teaspoon in (say) orange juice or similar in the morning. Give it a couple of months but your nails will be thicker, stronger, grow faster and just be better for playing.

Cheers
Peter

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:31 am

I like the Nail Strengthening Cream by Barielle. Pricey but definitely worth a try if you have exhausted all the other options. The jar is small but lasts for months if used sparingly at bedtime on right hand nails only. If reserved for use on your thumbnail, you could be good for a year!

Also mention this problem during your next visit to the doctor in the event there is a health-related issue involved.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:03 am

Get a soft gel treatment at a good nail saloon. You will not believe how great it is.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:59 pm

petermc61 wrote:... Try taking MSM power every day. Half to one teaspoon in (say) orange juice or similar in the morning. Give it a couple of months but your nails will be thicker, stronger, grow faster and just be better for playing...
+1. I've taken MSM (I buy it in pill form) for several years, and I think that it vastly improved the quality of my nails.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”