What about the lefthand (or fretting) nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Mark567

What about the lefthand (or fretting) nails?

Post by Mark567 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:51 am

I don’t see much discussion on this, at the same time I didn’t scour the forum either.
How short do you keep yours?
I see many pros who’s fretting nails are almost nonexistent. If I cut mine that short the soft section between the skin and the nail will split and I won’t be using that finger for awhile.
Will that part toughen up in time? Or is this just as low as I can go?
Taking mine as far as I dare just doesn’t seem to be enough, especially when having to reach over more than four frets.
2014 Marlon Navarro student classical 640mm
2000 Cordoba 40R 650mm

Jack Douglas

Re: What about the lefthand (or fretting) nails?

Post by Jack Douglas » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:06 am

I never cut nails or use finger clippers on my right or left hands. I always use a nail file to shorten my left hand nails and to shape my right hand nails before I buff them mirror smooth with an assortment of micro mesh grits.
Never never use clippers or other cutting devices on either hand's nails! Never!!!
Hauser III 2014!

Mark567

Post by Mark567 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:10 am

Sorry, I meant to say "when I file my nails"
No, I never cut them.
2000 Cordoba 40R 650mm

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:24 am

I'm curious about the rationale for never clipping your left hand nails? I do this as a matter of course, but maybe I need to change!
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:35 am

I cut my left hand nails, close and I also file them smooth.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I'm curious about the rationale for never clipping your left hand nails? I do this as a matter of course, but maybe I need to change!
Yes, I clip them as well, since there is no need to shape them accurately. The main requirement, I find, is to keep them short enough to avoid touching the fingerboard when fretting a note or chord requires a finger to to be perpendicular to the fretboard or even leaning over beyond the perpendicular.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:45 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I'm curious about the rationale for never clipping your left hand nails? I do this as a matter of course, but maybe I need to change!
Yes, I clip them as well, since there is no need to shape them accurately. The main requirement, I find, is to keep them short enough to avoid touching the fingerboard when fretting a note or chord requires a finger to to be perpendicular to the fretboard or even leaning over beyond the perpendicular.
I do that as well, which leaves 3-4mm of padding (past the nail) on the fingertips - plenty of clearance and never had any problem. Frankly it never occured to me till this thread that someone might be filing the fretboard hand nails.. :wink:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Apparently I have no respect for my left-hand fingernails. :twisted: I cut, clip, file, or whatever else might be expedient to get them short enough that they have no chance of touching the fingerboard. I only smooth them enough that they don't catch on things. The left thumbnail I take better care of since I keep it a little longer for utility purposes. The nails on the left hand do get lotioned when I'm maintaining the right hand, but I don't waste time putting any oil on them.
--John

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:31 pm

I never clip my left hand nails because they are never long enough to clip.

I need to keep my LH nails as short as possible so I run a nail file over them every day before I start playing (well, I actually use wet&dry abrasive paper, rather than a nail file).

Everyone's nails are slightly different, but if I don't file my LH nails as short as possible it starts to affecting my LH technique.
Last edited by JohnB on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

bear

Post by bear » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:34 pm

I keep them as short as possible. I use clippers and don't do anything special. I once had a guitar that had indentations in the fret board from someone's nails.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

creamburmese

Post by creamburmese » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:52 pm

I have to keep them really short - especially m, because it often ends up pointing backwards to reach - so as soon as those little white arcs appear they get filed off. Definitely more functional than pretty...

Mykart

Post by Mykart » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Jack Douglas wrote: Never never use clippers or other cutting devices on either hand's nails! Never!!!
I'm curious as to why, what is the harm in using clippers on the left hand nails?
"There's nothing worse than an undetermined person" - Robert Pollard

Mark567

Post by Mark567 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:27 pm

My original question was more about the length of the left-hand nails and the possibility of cutting and "training" them to be made shorter?
What I want to know is, if I cut them further back (and I know it will be painful) will the nail bed eventually shorten allowing me to keep the nail shorter?
The only finger I'm concerned with is my i finger, the other 3 naturally have shorter nails.
2000 Cordoba 40R 650mm

JamesMessick
Student of the online lessons

Post by JamesMessick » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:42 pm

I used to cut them but since this thread started I have begun to file them instead, and I shall continue this practice.
Play beautifully, insofar as you are able.
Yamaha G-235 II, Fender Stratocaster, Alvarez 5212
Yamaha G-230, Bessler (Guitar Shaped Object)
Cordoba C5-CE
Student of Douglas Niedt

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:13 pm

I recommend not to cut too short. I agree with Parkening's recommendation in his method, that the nail of the LH helps organizing the flesh for better pull-off sound. Its influence varies with your fingertip flesh size stiffness. So I also shape my LH nail for better pull-off sound (though not so detailed shaping as with RH).

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”