starting age for nail technique

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
P17

starting age for nail technique

Post by P17 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 am

Hello,

I have found a considerable amount of literature on different aspect regarding to nails, i.e. shape, repair etc.

However, I encounter a practical issue with children who start leaning and at some stage they will have to grow their nails eventually. Since I haven't found anything mentioned about it I am wondering when other teachers advice their students to grow nail and if anyone in the forum would like to share their view on it or point out some existing information on this matter.

best wishes,

giancarlo

laukejas

Re: starting age for nail technique

Post by laukejas » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:10 pm

Hello there. I usually recommend my students to try the nail technique on the 4th year of playing, age being irrelevant. It usually takes 3 years for them to stabilize their technique enough and develop hearing well enough to know what kind of sound they want. Some of the kids get there faster, some never. Myself, I started playing with nails after 1.5 years. It was a bit too early, and I struggled for a long time, blaming my nails when I simply didn't have proper right hand technique yet. In other words, too many variables too soon can be confusing. Just my two cents.

Adam

Re: starting age for nail technique

Post by Adam » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 am

I would say, make them aware of the difference and make the decision for themselves when they are ready.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”