Nails - Please Help

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
LukeMarsden

Nails - Please Help

Postby LukeMarsden » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:54 am

Hi All.

I'm around the Grade 7 level ... Really getting into the Villa Lobos Preludes for example....

And I'm starting to get more serious about my nails.

I've got quite good shaped nails but I think they're too thin and bendy and I really to hardened them naturally.

Any suggestions?

PS I eat a good healthy diet already

Blondie

Re: Nails - Please Help

Postby Blondie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:16 am

Try Opi nail envy, the matte one is better for guys as its not really shiny. It's basically a decent nail varnish - a coat of that will thicken your nail slightly and protect it from wear.

Don't try and remove it with nail polish remover as that's pretty harsh stuff and leaves the nails very dried out and weak, so just leave the Opi stuff alone and let it flake off naturally. It won't weaken your nails or cause any damage, as some other solutions can.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:20 am

Main thing is, whatever you do differently from now on will take weeks or months to really work.

I mainly use Body Shop Almond hand&nail cream. Also makes my hands nice and smooth!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:19 am

Vitamin E oil is good to rub on your cuticles and nails daily you've played. Rub the oil in and don't wash your hands afterwards. Using the oil helps prevent your nails from getting brittle during the dry months.
Hauser III 2014!

jpryan

Postby jpryan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:57 pm

Oil (olive, grapeseed, etc.) and/or hand lotion on them a couple of times per day (more in dry weather or if you wash your hands a lot) will keep them from drying out and getting brittle. Bendy is good (better than "breaky"). Using them (and the act of messaging in the oil) might make them a little thicker over time, but you mostly have the nails you have. Keep them as short as you can get away with, especially if you think they flex too much. If they're just longer than the tips of your fingers that should give you all the nail you need. Drink lots of water.
--John

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Thanks guys

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:29 pm

What do you currently do to file and polish them?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 pm

souldier wrote:What do you currently do to file and polish them?

I just use a multi-puropse Boots nail file - that's it!

I dont know where to buy the nail file paper here in the UK

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Ah I see. If you can get your hands on the kit that SBM sells, it could help to compensate for having thinner nails. I haven't found any other nail solution that brings out the best tone. I do believe SBM ships internationally
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

astro64

Postby astro64 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:53 pm

LukeMarsden wrote:
souldier wrote:What do you currently do to file and polish them?

I just use a multi-puropse Boots nail file - that's it!

I dont know where to buy the nail file paper here in the UK

Go to a car shop and buy the finest sandpaper they have, in the US it would be something like 1500 or 2000 grit. Cheap and it is perfect for that final polishing, especially once it has been used a bit. Wrap it around the file and also use it rolled up on its own to get the underside of the nail edge smooth too. A huge factor of the sound you get is how good your nails are shaped and polished.

bear

Postby bear » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:49 pm

LukeMarsden wrote:Hi All.

I'm around the Grade 7 level ... Really getting into the Villa Lobos Preludes for example....

I've got quite good shaped nails but I think they're too thin and bendy and I really to hardened them naturally.

Any suggestions?

Naturally? Sorry, genes are genes, either you've got them or you don't. Natural cures for thin nails are like natural cures for baldness. If your diet is good and you have no nutritional deficiencies, then you'll have to artificially harden your nails.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:44 pm

Try MSM powder in your juice in the morning. I swear by it.

dtoh

Postby dtoh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:36 am

With all respect, forget the naturally bit. Go get a soft gel treatment at a good nail saloon. If you don't like it, you can easily have it removed and try something else. In reality, you will hit yourself on the head for not doing it sooner and think anyone who doesn't do it is a moron.

Blondie

Postby Blondie » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:10 am

bear wrote:
Naturally? Sorry, genes are genes, either you've got them or you don't. Natural cures for thin nails are like natural cures for baldness. If your diet is good and you have no nutritional deficiencies, then you'll have to artificially harden your nails.

Exactly, he said his nails are too thin and he's getting advice on how to file them or moisturise them? Both those are useful to know in terms of general nail care, neither address his problem.

Luke, your multipurpose Boots nail file is fine, if it's one of those 4 way things with a buffer I've been using one for years. Changing to sandpaper won't magically thicken your nail. There are numerous nail thickener/hardener products available - basically nail varnishes - the one I mentioned is the least girly looking! It's been recommended here many times:
app.php/googlesearch?cx=009703151097353185253%3Aaixowpvzrgc&q=opi+nail+envy&sitesearch=

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:20 am

bear wrote:

Any suggestions?

I think there is only one 'treatment' that has been proven to help with nails, even that is probably a marginal improvement. I forget what the actual product is called, biotin? Not sure I would want to take it though.
That's altogether different to something that you apply direct to the nail that helps strengthen it. I suppose with these varnishes/nail strengtheners you only need apply them to the whites of the nail.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”