Nails - Please Help

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
bear

Re: Nails - Please Help

Post by bear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Michael.N. wrote:
bear wrote:
LukeMarsden wrote:Hi All.

I'm around the Grade 7 level ... Really getting into the Villa Lobos Preludes for example....

And I'm starting to get more serious about my nails.

I've got quite good shaped nails but I think they're too thin and bendy and I really to hardened them naturally.

Any suggestions?

PS I eat a good healthy diet already
Naturally? Sorry, genes are genes, either you've got them or you don't. Natural cures for thin nails are like natural cures for baldness. If your diet is good and you have no nutritional deficiencies, then you'll have to artificially harden your nails.
I think there is only one 'treatment' that has been proven to help with nails, even that is probably a marginal improvement. I forget what the actual product is called, biotin? Not sure I would want to take it though.
That's altogether different to something that you apply direct to the nail that helps strengthen it. I suppose with these varnishes/nail strengtheners you only need apply them to the whites of the nail.
Biotin is a good supplement, I've used it on horses hooves. But, here's the deal as with any supplement, they will address a deficiency. If, you are not deficient you will eliminate what your body doesn't need. Your genes dictate. You can make it worst but you can't make your brown eyes blue- "naturally".
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

bear

Post by bear » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Blondie wrote:
bear wrote:
LukeMarsden wrote:Hi All.
Naturally? Sorry, genes are genes, either you've got them or you don't. Natural cures for thin nails are like natural cures for baldness. If your diet is good and you have no nutritional deficiencies, then you'll have to artificially harden your nails.
Exactly, he said his nails are too thin and he's getting advice on how to file them or moisturise them? Both those are useful to know in terms of general nail care, neither address his problem.

Luke, your multipurpose Boots nail file is fine, if it's one of those 4 way things with a buffer I've been using one for years. Changing to sandpaper won't magically thicken your nail. There are numerous nail thickener/hardener products available - basically nail varnishes - the one I mentioned is the least girly looking! It's been recommended here many times:
app.php/googlesearch?cx=009703151097353 ... itesearch=
I've been using multiple layers of Sally Hansen's Double Duty since I started playing cg. Shoeing horses, forging iron, building, digging ditches, etc. no problem.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Mark567

Post by Mark567 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:25 am

I've been taking biotin for over a year now and it absolutely makes my nails stronger. I take a 5000mg capsule every morning. My wife suggested it to me because I was constantly breaking them. After a few months, the breakage problems stopped.
I've never noticed any kind of side effects from it, it's very inexpensive and available any place that sells vitamins.
In my line of work, it's hard to keep longer nails but I swear by this stuff.
2014 Marlon Navarro student classical 640mm
2000 Cordoba 40R 650mm

a human

Post by a human » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:37 am

I have tried a lot of things described above without much luck. However, the last few months I have been approaching my nail breaks and peels as if there was a fungus not visible to my eye. After shower, I daub white vinegar on them. At night I rub some Vick's vapo rub in them before retiring. In the morning I rub coconut oil on the. Every few days I paint the tips only with clear Orly nail defense. They are doing much better and while not super long, at least they are not breaking constantly or peeling, and now are peeking over my fingertips.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:57 am

Forget the naturally bit. Go to a good nail saloon and get a soft gel treatment. If you get a matte finish, your nails will look natural. The only difference is that you will never have to worry about your nails again. I honestly have a hard time believing that every CGist does not do this. Maybe there are a few people out there with perfect nails, but anyone else will think it’s a miracle.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”