Electric nail trimmer?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
powderedtoastman

Electric nail trimmer?

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 am

Anyone try using an electric nail trimmer/buffer to file down nails faster?
I find that filing is a pretty big chore so I let my nails grow a bit too long. If I could file them down to length easily by machine and then put the light finishing touches by hand, I might be more inclined to keep up with my nails a little better.
Bad idea?

hpaulj

Re: Electric nail trimmer?

Post by hpaulj » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 am

I use a rechargeable Dremel tool with a grinding wheel for my dog's nails. But I've only tried it tentatively on my own. It's no good for the close trimmed left hand. And not useful for the right hand bevel. That leaves the gross shaping for the right.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:37 am

powderedtoastman wrote: I find that filing is a pretty big chore so I let my nails grow a bit too long. If I could file them down to length easily by machine and then put the light finishing touches by hand, I might be more inclined to keep up with my nails a little better.
Bad idea?
I'm surprised that you find nail filing such a big chore. I use a glass/crystal nail file and can get the job done with very little effort. In fact the shaping part is the easiest part. Buffing the edge to a smooth surface is usually the more time consuming activity.

So no, I would not encourage the use of an electric nail trimmer to trim your finger nails (toe nails maybe?).

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:03 am

I agree with Paul about glass/crystal files. They can work very quickly and are also very good for shaping if used carefully. I can't imagine needing anything faster.

JamesMessick

Post by JamesMessick » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:23 am

I didn't like the glass nail I tried. I love the Revlon shape n buff, though. Six surfaces, of which I only use four. The black surface will take the nail down quick, the white side to do the final shaping, and the different colored surfaces to get that perfect edge.
Play beautifully, insofar as you are able.
Yamaha G-235 II, Fender Stratocaster, Alvarez 5212
Yamaha G-230, Bessler (Guitar Shaped Object)
Cordoba C5-CE
Student of Douglas Niedt

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:58 am

James

Try the Wolfram Slides Precision Crystal Glass file. Best one made.

Peter

Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:57 pm

a minute or two every other day or so with a file and 600 grit paper (or whatever your system) should be a habit. once the optimal nail length is achieved it is lost with every minute thereafter since nails grow. in two days time what was a great length is now a tad too long. nail care is like tooth care--you gotta do it on a regular basis. once a week ain't gonna cut it. as to those electric trimmers on television--see any classical guitarists in the ad? what works for women wanting pretty nails is not the same as wanting functional nails.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Adam

Post by Adam » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:03 pm

I clip a bit off, then file smooth with a metal file, then finish with the Oasis OH-19 "fingernail shaper". Works beautifully.

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks guys. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing... If I keep up with it more and don't let it get out of hand I suppose it should be better.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”