Agustin Barrios Technique & Nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
el_guitarrero

Agustin Barrios Technique & Nails

Postby el_guitarrero » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 am

Hello forum members,

I remember to have started a thread like this one, but i did not get really helpful answers.

Yesterday by hearing old (original) recordings of A. Barrios, i noticed in the 3rd Movement of la catedral, that he plays some parts some kind of pizzicato / stopping the strings , afaik it sounds as if he is planting the finger from the right hand on the strings to get good gontact and speed.
Some runs or melody lines sound as if played by a flamenco guitarist in rest stroke style and planting the next right hand finger already on the string, thus stopping the string from vibrating.

This lead me to the thought that he was playing maybe with very short nails or no nails at all, otherwise he would not be able to use this excessive "planting" of the fingers.

Is someone here in this forum having some knowledge about this topic ? - Besides the story of dampened steel strings-

Thank you

celestemcc

Re: Agustin Barrios Technique & Nails

Postby celestemcc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Could he have been muting the strings with the edge of the right hand -- is that what you mean?
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

el_guitarrero

Postby el_guitarrero » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello,
No, no palm muting.
If you hear flamenco players do a picado run, they immediately place the next finger on the string (i am talking right hand i -m fingers), and by doing so get smaller movements (gain speed) and gain accuracy. But it sounds "pizzicato". Check youtubes barrios original recordings, -La catedral,Allegro part- and in the middle where the virtuoso part starts, listen carefully ... :)

Regards

Bodhi

Postby Bodhi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Previous posts and articles have suggested that Barrios has rubber stops "sordinas" to mute the metal string "twang". Without re-opening old topics like did Barrios play without nails and with steel strings,;the quality of old recordings makes it hard to my ear at least to definitively determine Barrios' exact technique. I would not be surprised if what you suggest was the case but Sordina muting can play a role also
Juan De La Mancha Allegro 1980 Cedar
Loriente "Clarita" 2004 Spruce
Frederico Sheppard Barrios "Morant" 2010 Spruce
Hermanos Camps Primera Negra-A 2016 Spruce
Yulong Guo "Philharmonic" Double Top 2016 #01 Cedar French Polish

Giomhurtbees

Postby Giomhurtbees » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:07 am

Is this sordina thing you talk about something common? I've never heard of it.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”