Struggling with nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
marusanek52

Struggling with nails

Postby marusanek52 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi, 1.5 months ago I lost my nails because of the hand mouth and foot disease. Now i'm struggling with nail growth. My nails are now like 1 mm long and when I practice (I practice a lot) they get rough, so I need to file them with micromesh sheets. Because of that my nails are the same lengh for like 2 weeks now.
How do I get out of that "magic circle"? Maybe applying lecithin on them?

:merci:

RobMacKillop

Re: Struggling with nails

Postby RobMacKillop » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:25 pm

I feel your pain. Good luck with the remedies. If nothing works, I urge you not to despair. Many players, myself included, play without nails. They did so throughout the guitar's history, and they do so today. Please check my website, half of which is devoted to playing without nails: http://rmclassicalguitar.com

I mention this as I know many people who said they gave up after finding they couldn't grow their nails anymore. Once they realise it is not the end, they get back to playing as much as they did before.

Hopefully things will work out for you, whatever the nail situation.

eobu

Postby eobu » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:24 pm

I have psoriasis in my nail bed so my nails break if you look at them. I've tried taking vitamin B supplements but to no avail. I may have to go the no-nail route!

RobMacKillop

Postby RobMacKillop » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:19 am

It's not the end of the world :)

Jstanley01

Postby Jstanley01 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:37 am

I just use regular old clear nail polish to protect them as they grow out. Doing so was what initially allowed me to grow them and keep them at playing length. Ping pong balls trimmed and glued underneath the nail work, depending on how you feel about the glue. I use the kind of super glue that is used to close wounds, although I haven't for quite a while. Fake nails have too many drawbacks. It's worth the work, husbanding your own nails to playing length. Others' experiences vary, but my nails seem to have gotten stronger over time. I had a heck of a time getting them to and keeping them at playing length at first until I started using the nail polish. Nowadays, I go without polishing them for long periods.
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

marusanek52

Postby marusanek52 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:25 pm

Thank you for your answers. I started putting cannabis oil and liquid lecithin on my nails. Even after 1 week they seem to be stronger. I'm also going to buy biotin and coconut oil.

dory

Postby dory » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 am

The only solution that has worked for me is Veralac. I have unbelievably bad nails naturally. Even nail,strengthening polish is not enough to make them strong. I have tried Sally Hanson's Miracle Nail Growth formula to no avail. All it does is make my nails shiny but they still break. Without the Veralac (which is the only nail solution that has had clinical testing) the only thing that works is to paint the ends of my nails with superglue. There is a kind of superglue for nails that comes in a little bottle with a brush. I just found a new supplier in Canada which will ship Veralac to the US but at this point even with the Veralac I have decided to keep my nails pretty short. It nust isn't worth the pain. If you can't grow nails listen to Rob's videos on the internet. You will feel better.
Dory

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”