Switching to Nails playing from No Nails playing

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
SixStringShooter716

Switching to Nails playing from No Nails playing

Postby SixStringShooter716 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Any tips for someone who has played for years with no nails but is now growing their nails out for the first time?
Have any of you gone through this transition?

2handband

Re: Switching to Nails playing from No Nails playing

Postby 2handband » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:26 pm

I did. I was an accomplished steel-string fingerpicker before I first started monkeying around with classical. I found it pretty seamless. The biggest trick is as soon as they strart growing out to the point they might contact the strings start shaping them. That'll provide a natural transition.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Keep them short to start with, despite any temptations to go long right away. Much depends on the technique you have used nail-less. Some no-nails have a slightly more in-curved fingertip, and if you add a nail to that you are likely to hook the string badly. The thing is to use the nail as a ramp to push the string down towards the fingerboard, and the presence of the nail will largely amplify the effect of whatever you are doing at present.

And when you are wondering about nail shaping there's always my nail shaping video! :D
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 pm

You'll be at an advantage to play with short nails since you're already playing with no nails. Your hands will naturally adjust quickly. Tips:

-Proper nail care is a non-negotiable and makes the world of a difference. Know how to shape your nails and polish the edges properly to get the best possible tone.
-When plucking, touch the string with flesh first, then release off the nail
-You now have different options to shape the tone. The angle of your fingers will change the tone. Watch videos on nail use and tone production for more info
-Do arpeggio exercises and scales to develop your right hand with both rest and free strokes
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2014 James Frieson | Swiss Spruce . Madagascar Rosewood

SixStringShooter716

Postby SixStringShooter716 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Thank you all for your advice.

pmiklitz

Postby pmiklitz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Follow the nail shaping advice from Stanley Yates' book "Classical Guitar Technique from Foundation to Virtuosity (Part 1): Foundation". He recommends shaping the ima nails as a unit first, then finishing and polishing them individually, which yields really good and reproducible results for a beginner.

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”