Good Nails/Bad Nails - Same Hand

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
DaveLeeNC

Good Nails/Bad Nails - Same Hand

Postby DaveLeeNC » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm

I played for a while in the mid-1980's and don't recall nail management being impossible in that timeframe. I returned to my CG this summer, and particularly since winter set in, my nails have been impossible to deal with. And the pattern is interesting.

I would estimate that over the previous 2 months I have encountered 20 'nail events' where a 'nail event' is something that requires that I do something or changes how a given finger works. This could be anything from a very small chip requiring some smoothing to a big/ugly tear that will take weeks to fix and takes a finger 'completely out of play'.

What is interesting is that I do not recall a single 'nail event' on either 'i' or 'c' (little finger which is use occasionally). There are all p, m, and a issues. I have pretty much given up on nails and am currently giving Alaska Pik's a serious audition. But has anyone else had this strange mix of roughly 'half good, half bad' nails on the same hand?

Thanks.

dave
1984 Jesus Marzal cedar CG
1971 Sherry-Brener (Cedar) Garcia No. 1 CG
1975 Gibson ES-175D Achtop Electric
2016 Eastman AR905CE-BD Carved Archtop Electric

Michael.N.

Re: Good Nails/Bad Nails - Same Hand

Postby Michael.N. » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:47 pm

Well my thumb nail was always pretty strong, my index too. My 'a' finger nail was hopeless and middle not much better. It took some time but I made the transition to playing without nails. It does seem impossible at first but eventually you regain the facility. I'll not go back to playing with nails. I've also started playing the piano which is even more incentive to stay with no nail technique.
Historicalguitars.

dtoh

Postby dtoh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 am

A soft gel treatment from a manicurist/nailist will solve all of your problems. I started doing this about 18 months ago and am amazed that all CGist don't do this. If you have nail issues, you will think it's a miracle.

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 am

dtoh wrote:A soft gel treatment from a manicurist/nailist will solve all of your problems. I started doing this about 18 months ago and am amazed that all CGist don't do this. If you have nail issues, you will think it's a miracle.

Could you tell me what you mean by a soft gel treatment? What is the stuff? I use the Healthy Hoof cream overnight, and have started trying FlexiNail as well as a gel treatment by Kaina which is quite expensive. My nails hold up pretty good but the winter is the most dangerous time. I have noticed some delamination at the edges and don't know the cause. I don't remember suffering from this problem in the past. How often do you get a soft gel treatment from a manicurist?

dtoh

Postby dtoh » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am

Soft gel is a flexible resin which is brushed on to your nails as liquid and then is cured with ultra-violet light. There are home applications kits, but I always get mine done at a nail salon.

Hard gels have been around for a long time but are very stiff and inflexible and you lose a lot of feel for the strings because they are so inflexible. Hard gel also has to be removed with a grinder.

Soft gels are newer, flexible (so the feel on the strings is very natural), do very little damage to your natural nails, and can be removed with acetone.

A soft gel treatment will last about 2 1/2 to 3 weeks and then it begins to de-laminate from the edges of the nail. I go in to nail salon about every 2 to 3 weeks to have my nails done. I used to break or crack nails on a weekly basis. Now my nails are almost indestructible but the feel on the strings is very natural. Other than the cost, I can't imagine why every CGist does not get soft gel treatments. You can get a soft gel treatment at any nail salon, but you need to make sure they know the difference between hard and soft gels. I'm pretty sure most reputable salons know the difference.

A couple of other things. I have the nailist buff the surface of the gel to a matte finish so it looks pretty much like natural nails. I also only do the gel treatment on the top half of my nails and leave the bottom half of the nail exposed. I'm not sure if this makes any difference but I feel like leaving the nail exposed for half of it's growth might be better for the nails. I also use a nail conditioning cream. I happen to use OPI Avoplex, but I suspect Healthy Hooves or Flexinail are just as good.

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:21 pm

I used to have several nail chips/tears but have very little if any since I changed the way I polish them. This may help you a bit, but there could be other factors to your nail troubles.

Before I would focus on using the micromesh papers (2400 to 12000 grit from strings by mail) on polishing the underside of my nail where the nail makes contact with the string. But now I polish the nail on all sides. I also ensure that when I polish the underside of the nail that I do not thin the tip of the nail too much but keep it as thick as possible.

Doing this I have found leads to better tone, and the smooth rounded edge on all sides greatly prevents chips, tearing, etc.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

jpryan

Postby jpryan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:15 pm

DaveLeeNC wrote:What is interesting is that I do not recall a single 'nail event' on either 'i' or 'c' (little finger which is use occasionally).

You do realize that by posting this you've doomed your "i" and "c" nails to imminent breakage.
--John

DaveLeeNC

Postby DaveLeeNC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:50 pm

jpryan wrote:
DaveLeeNC wrote:What is interesting is that I do not recall a single 'nail event' on either 'i' or 'c' (little finger which is use occasionally).

You do realize that by posting this you've doomed your "i" and "c" nails to imminent breakage.

Probably true, but at this point it really doesn't matter much.

dave

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:30 pm

DaveLeeNC wrote:I played for a while in the mid-1980's and don't recall nail management being impossible in that timeframe. I returned to my CG this summer, and particularly since winter set in, my nails have been impossible to deal with. And the pattern is interesting.

I would estimate that over the previous 2 months I have encountered 20 'nail events' where a 'nail event' is something that requires that I do something or changes how a given finger works. This could be anything from a very small chip requiring some smoothing to a big/ugly tear that will take weeks to fix and takes a finger 'completely out of play'.

What is interesting is that I do not recall a single 'nail event' on either 'i' or 'c' (little finger which is use occasionally). There are all p, m, and a issues. I have pretty much given up on nails and am currently giving Alaska Pik's a serious audition. But has anyone else had this strange mix of roughly 'half good, half bad' nails on the same hand?

Thanks.

dave

Hi Dave,

You've added around 30 years of aging since the mid-80's and I've learned that age does take a toll on the nails. However, diet, and a daily nail care maintenance helps greatly. Speaking of diet, I suggest you switch your NC Barbecue sauce to classic Virginia sauce. Amazing what the tomato sauce will do for better nails! :lol:

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

DaveLeeNC

Postby DaveLeeNC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Jack, I was born/raised in Missouri and I have yet to adjust to a vinegar based BBQ sauce. Heck - where I am from a little bit of molasses in some ketchup will pass for BBQ sauce :-)

dave

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I find that Gates and Jack Stack from Kansas City do wonders for your nails!
Kremona Fiesta FC

DaveLeeNC

Postby DaveLeeNC » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 pm

Wrong side of the state for me (born in St. Louis and raised an hour south).

dave

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 am

DaveLeeNC wrote:Wrong side of the state for me (born in St. Louis and raised an hour south).

dave

Haha! I'm guessing Fredericktown, Festus, Ritenour, Sikeston? Am I close?
Kremona Fiesta FC

DaveLeeNC

Postby DaveLeeNC » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Dustin McKinney wrote:
DaveLeeNC wrote:Wrong side of the state for me (born in St. Louis and raised an hour south).

dave

Haha! I'm guessing Fredericktown, Festus, Ritenour, Sikeston? Am I close?

Pretty close - and I am impressed. Take US HIghway 67 south out of Festus and when you get about halfway to Fredericktown, take Route 8 west about a mile until you get to Park Hills. And you are there. FWIW, this was known as Flat River when I was a kid but four local towns merged 25'ish years ago to form Park Hills. For local trivia fans Google "Mildred Lee Park Hills" and you will find that my mother named the town. Until last year she lived in a house that is across the street from where she was 'birthed' (back then a birth in a hospital was not the norm). She now lives in assisted living in the Dallas area near two of my siblings.

dave

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”