Issue about nails, options?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Thomas Drummond
Student of the online lessons
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Issue about nails, options?

Post by Thomas Drummond » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 am

I would love to grow my nails out for playing the nylons, but because of work/life. cannot.
what are some not-so-permanent options??? :merci:
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Laudiesdad69

Re: Issue about nails, options?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:58 am

You could always use fake fingernails like the ladies. When your done, just rip em off.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:59 am

Truth is you don't need really long nails for playing the nylons. Certainly, you'll see professional players with an unusually long thumbnail and longer than average fingernails, but you will also see brilliant players with very normal looking nails. If I were you I would spend time taking care of shorter nails by regular buffing and keeping them from drying out by using a daily rub of something like vitamin E Oil. You can get a complete nail care kit from Strings by Mail and you just have to use it.
The alternative of going to a nail salon for artificial nail coatings will, My opinion, weaken your nails.
If you do heavy construction, try to always use gloves when possible.
Daily care with the nail care kit takes only a few minutes before bed or practice and in the long run keeps your short nails in perfect condition to play the nylons!
Last edited by Jack Douglas on Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hauser III 2014!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:00 am

I'm serious, I know a guy who does this. He works as an RN and works one week on, one week off.

Thomas Drummond
Student of the online lessons
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:17 am

hmm fake nails... arent those very difficult to rip off? when i mentioned that to the wife she said
taking nylon nails off can be very difficult, and even damage the real nail o.O
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:30 am

Yes, I also don't really like growing long nails or even playing with them. I just basically keep my nails pretty short and not too long. If when I finish filing my nails and I hold the nail file to the end of my finger, if I can basically touch the skin on the end of my finger, I stop filing and just leave it at that. I don't grow my nails past the end of my fingers. It take a little work to constantly file your nails and not allow them to grow out too much. Just keep it at it and keep them short so that they don't get in the way. :merci:

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:53 am

Are you certain you can't grow out a bit of nail? I was pretty certain and then tried anyway. I achieved what I think is a good balance point over about 6 months. Not too much to interfere with what I have to do, and enough that it's not useless on the guitar. It's worked out quite well for me. Maybe I just got lucky.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:32 am

I can't grow out my annular nail no matter how I try. It just breaks or tears. The annular nail is thinner than my other nails, even that of chiquito. My other nails grow easily but I have a terrible habit of nail-biting so they don't last long :oops:

I got a dozen Alaska Piks recently from Elderly Instruments, Michigan. Working on filing a nice clean edge and taping them to the fingers with 3M thin surgical tape.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:45 am

Seriously, you don't HAVE TO play with nails. Have a look at my website, half of which is devoted to those who play without nails (including me). The address is http://rmClassicalGuitar.com Any questions, just ask.

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:29 pm

I prefer to play with no finger nails. The tone is far mellower and doesn't project as far but high tension strings help somewhat.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:50 pm

+1

souldier

Post by souldier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

If other aspects of my life absolutely prevented me from growing out my nails, I'd definitely just go without nails as many have done this with decent results. I can't see myself using fake nails or finger picks that can be removed/attached as it takes time, feels unnatural, tedious, etc.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

2handband

Post by 2handband » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:54 pm

I tried some of the alternatives at one point including alaska pics... couldn't get use to 'em. You'd be surprised at what you can get away with if you're careful, though. For one thing they don't need to be all that long; I don't even think long nails sound all that good. Mine are pretty much even with the tip except for the thumb which obviously has to be much longer if it's going to catch the string on a rest stroke. For another be careful; use your left hand when you can and when doing anything physical wear a glove if possible. Now I have an unfair advantage in the form of ridiculously hard nails (I started playing classical on a steel string and could play all day without tearing my nails up), but nevertheless I am renovating my house and fix my own car when it breaks. I rarely have trouble with my nails.

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:12 pm

Riconails!

2handband

Post by 2handband » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:13 pm

And just like a day or two after I talk about my robust nails I break the one on my bird finger. So I just now tried what I'd read about here on the forum somewhere and glued a toenail clipping to it. Works great! My GF says it's disgusting...

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”