Getting used to longer nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Contreras

Re: Getting used to longer nails

Postby Contreras » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:59 pm

Pat Hargan wrote:I use a heated spoon to bend my nails upwards where they are prone to hooking ...

..... the hot-spoon treatment seems to work.

....... the tremolo is, at least, smooth and even in timing and volume (helped also by practising different finger combinations).

This is extremely interesting to me ... the first original thing I've read about nails for a long time. I didn't think there was remedy for 'hook nail' . Fortunately only my annular is affected but it does affect tone (in a bad way), and I have been filing shorter and shorter of late.

It also affects evenness of tremolo, and on the matter of different finger combinations, I have improved my tremolo to the point where I can give a reasonable account of myself with RDLA using only imi.

Any further details we need to know about the hot spoon treatment?
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

Pat Hargan

Postby Pat Hargan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:25 pm

Any further details we need to know about the hot spoon treatment?

http://www.mangore.com/fingernails-2-12-101 – scroll down to 'soldering iron technique'.

This is where I got the idea, but rather than use a soldering iron and the round end of a tuning fork, I heat the edge of a teaspoon using a cigarette lighter (this does tend to look a bit dodgy if I'm out and about, but a lighter is a lot more portable than a soldering iron, although a bit dirtier: I wipe the black sooty residue off the spoon with a tissue before applying it to the nail). This is a temporary fix, but the only decent way to deal with hook nails that I have come across. The effect tends to last till the next time I have a shower. Of course, you have to be careful not to burn the end of your finger with the end of the hot spoon; I shield the flesh of my finger from the hot metal using my long thumb nail. If you suffer from hook nail, this method is definitely worth trying.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 pm

2handband wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:I just keep them short and not too long past the edge of my fingers. As long as they can catch the strings, that's good enough for me. Always file your nails, but don't cut them at all. You can use some lotion or vitamin E oil on your nails. I've even heard that garlic can be used on them to strengthen them. I haven't tried to use garlic, so I don't know if it works or not.

It doesn't matter if it strengthens your nails or not, the real purpose of the garlic is to keep vampires from crashing your gig.

It also keeps one from getting distracted by keeping 'groupies' at bay.

On a serious note: I wouldn't worry too much about ramps until you get used to using longer nails in the first place. Personally for a beginner I would recommend shaping like the end of the finger and keep them just a little longer than the tip of the finger pad. Once they grow out to a nice (short but functional length) keep them the same shape and length by filing regularly. Then once you get used to them start experimenting with various lengths (a little shorter and a little longer) as well as very minor ramps. Once you develop a good feel for ramps, try playing around with more extreme ramps as you'll have a better idea of how much ramp you like (or maybe none at all).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 am

Giomhurtbees wrote:Check scott tennant's video about nails on YouTube, it's interesting. He explains with drawings why some shape will work better than another. But best is to try and see what works best for you.

Thank you. Will check it out! :)

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am

Pat Hargan wrote:
I'm going to ask a classical guitarist friend of mine here in Cape Town to help with the placing the micro mesh and then we can check where my nails/fingers make contact. Thank you so much for this idea! Much appreciated. I might not have to grow them as long as I have been thinking... :)

I got the tip from Matthew McAllister. He explains it in detail in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-_2Z3cN2k

Another video about nail shaping that I would recommend is by William Kanengiser of the LA Guitar Quartet. It is quite long but gives the clearest explanation I have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ36c3_6jks

Awesome. Thank you for the link. Will check it out.

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:21 am

Pat Hargan wrote:
I'm going to ask a classical guitarist friend of mine here in Cape Town to help with the placing the micro mesh and then we can check where my nails/fingers make contact. Thank you so much for this idea! Much appreciated. I might not have to grow them as long as I have been thinking... :)

I got the tip from Matthew McAllister. He explains it in detail in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT-_2Z3cN2k

Another video about nail shaping that I would recommend is by William Kanengiser of the LA Guitar Quartet. It is quite long but gives the clearest explanation I have seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ36c3_6jks

Awesome. Thank you for the link. Will check it out.

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:
Captonius wrote:
Oh, I hadn't read this either. It would really good to try it out and see if it works! :) :merci: for this research!

You're welcome. Keep me posted and let's see how it goes :)

Yes for sure, it will be interesting to see if it actually works or not! :)

Any luck with the garlic? :)

zupfgeiger

Postby zupfgeiger » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 am

I almost exclusively use different Micro-Mesh sheets. I had bad experience with files rubbing off very quickly too much of the nail. Also important is the shaping angle between sandpaper and nail.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:36 am

Captonius wrote:
Captonius wrote:
You're welcome. Keep me posted and let's see how it goes :)

You know, I still haven't tried the garlic yet. I was thinking this the other day, maybe I should try it this week and see how it goes! :) :bye:

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Captonius wrote:

You know, I still haven't tried the garlic yet. I was thinking this the other day, maybe I should try it this week and see how it goes! :) :bye:

LOL :lol: ... okay... I also haven't tried. Then again I have hardly had time to play and I still haven't been back to lessons this year. I just can't seem to make the fee fit my budget :( I miss guitar lessons.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:50 pm

Captonius wrote:
Captonius wrote:

LOL :lol: ... okay... I also haven't tried. Then again I have hardly had time to play and I still haven't been back to lessons this year. I just can't seem to make the fee fit my budget :( I miss guitar lessons.

Yes, I agree, life just gets in the way of playing guitar and there's never enough time. I will let you know when I try the garlic trick and let you know if my nails feel thicker or whatever! :)

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:36 am

Captonius wrote:

Yes, I agree, life just gets in the way of playing guitar and there's never enough time. I will let you know when I try the garlic trick and let you know if my nails feel thicker or whatever! :)

OK awesome. Looking forward to some news :)

Captonius

Postby Captonius » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 am

zupfgeiger wrote:I almost exclusively use different Micro-Mesh sheets. I had bad experience with files rubbing off very quickly too much of the nail. Also important is the shaping angle between sandpaper and nail.

Yeah I also seem to file too much I think... it's a process to get used to for sure.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”