fake finger nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
pringipas

fake finger nails

Postby pringipas » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I play classical guitar and I plan to work on playing the acoustic and electric guitar, is there a way to replace my real finger nails with fake ones? Preferably something that can be taken off and be put back on instantly when needed if possible.

Any suggestions?

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: fake finger nails

Postby Isabelle Frizac » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:16 pm

Alaska piks
Mod edit: direct link to commercial site removed; search for alaskapik(dot com)
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

bear

Postby bear » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:26 pm

had them- used them- hated them
Check out Rob Mackillop's page on playing without nails.
https://rmclassicalguitar.com/technique/
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

2handband

Postby 2handband » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 pm

None of the removable solutions work for me. At all. I have a piece of deodorant bottle cap glued to my middle fingernail right now...

Andrew Pohlman

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:37 pm

pringipas wrote:Hi everyone,

I play classical guitar and I plan to work on playing the acoustic and electric guitar, is there a way to replace my real finger nails with fake ones? Preferably something that can be taken off and be put back on instantly when needed if possible.

Any suggestions?
If you go to any of the mega music stores online and search for "finger picking picks", you'll see what many players use for traditional finger picking styles. Johnny Winter used a thumb pick and normal nails for I, M, and A. If I've got my history correct, he followed the picking technique of Chet Atkins and Merle Travis, even though they both played a very different style of music than Johnny. So there is certainly a precedent for a hybrid solution of finger/nails and picks.

Good luck with search!
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

scottszone

Postby scottszone » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:56 am

Another option is to get acrylic applied at a nail salon. It is brushed on right over your natural nail, and they can extend the length as needed. Once it is dried and polished the tone is as natural as your regular nail, yet it's 10x stronger. The acrylic nails work for nylon and steel strings without chipping or breakage. It needs to be reapplied or filled every 6 weeks or so. Cost is around $10 for p, i, m, a.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:51 pm

There's tons of threads on this here. Common solutions are Guitar Player Nails, Rico Nails, acrylics and drugstore fake nails, in combination with either super glue or glue dots. Hate to say it, but it takes tons of experimentation! I avoid getting salon acrylics personally; I find the technicians simply take off too much natural nail, no matter how much I instruct them. By that I mean, not the length, but they thin it too much, leaving the natural nail weak. But it's a terrific solution for others. Keep on tryin'! :D
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

powderedtoastman

Postby powderedtoastman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:38 pm

You could try a hardener, which is kind of like a clear polish. One of my teachers recommended that to me and it has been working pretty nicely though if I don't apply it quite frequently enough it starts to peel a little.

BrettQuays

Postby BrettQuays » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:42 am

I have used Alaska picks and did manage quite well with practice. My son always uses them because he couldn't have longer nails in his profession (dancer). Worth persevering if you need them - and taking time to file them to a good shape.

I now manage with my real nails on steel strings - develop a light style and they should last. I have one flawed nail on the index finger that I often need to strengthen and lengthen a little with silk (4 layers) and resin.

pringipas

Postby pringipas » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

sorry for the really late reply...thank you for all your responses! :-)))))))

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”