FlexiNail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
raven

FlexiNail

Post by raven » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Well, I've decided to try Flexinail after reading through quite a few topics on nail issues on this forum and elsewhere and studying the pros and cons of various remedies. Even on the online seller of everything, there were classical guitarists who commented positively about it. I had previously tried Alaska Piks as well as "Hard as Hoof" nail strengthening cream. I did have some modest improvement with Hard as Hoof and it's cheap to buy so I might still use that at bedtime, although I'm not sure if combining these things is helpful or not.

I started using the Flexinail a couple days ago. I will try to give it a good 6 months or so and see what happens. Fortunately I have a job where I can apply it and leave it on for 20-30 minutes and do that 2-3 times a day.

If anyone has any additional special tips on using Flexinail, that would be great.

This stuff is not cheap, that's for sure, so I really hope it works and if it does it will be well worth it to me!

David

raven

Re: FlexiNail

Post by raven » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm

4-month update on Flexinail:
I did not notice any difference for the first two months. But over the following two months I have definitely seen an improvement, mainly that I haven't broken/split a nail in over a month now. My nails seem to tolerate bumping into things accidentally much better than they used to. I can easily grow them a little longer than before without them splitting/peeling or other weird stuff they used to do. I also have a better tone when playing, probably because I have a much easier time keeping the ends of the nails nice and smooth and shaped the way I want.
I apply it twice during the day, leaving it on for at least 5 minutes and then after that I rub it into the nail real good. I also do the same at bedtime. In 4 months I have used about 2/3 of one container, so it does last a long time.
I do wonder if just using some other kind of oil that is readily available and cheaper and without all the other ingredients might work just as well for me. I will probably do a comparison test of that to find out.

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

Typing FlexiNail in the search box gives a lot of hits on FlexiNail. Reviews repeatedly say that it works to harden nails and keep then flexible. If Delcamp reviews are accurate, it does more than just what an oil does. An oil will keep nails flexible but not really harder. It could be that a well hydrated nail might seem a little harder, but I don't think a lot harder. I tried Hard as Hoof but my opinion is that it is just the same as using any oil. From what I gather pretty much any oil is the same as another. I'm currently using white iodine to harden nails, and Tea Tree oil to hydrate them. However, based on Delcamp reviews, I might FlexiNail myself.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I've been using flexinail since April so nearly 3 months. I used to break a nail frequently every week or so. So far only broken 2 and that's been off the tip, not low down as I used to. So for me a big improvement. I tried it because a friend recommended it as it worked for him.

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 pm

muirtan wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm
I've been using flexinail since April so nearly 3 months. I used to break a nail frequently every week or so. So far only broken 2 and that's been off the tip, not low down as I used to. So for me a big improvement. I tried it because a friend recommended it as it worked for him.
I got dibs to be the first one to notice that you just made 1000 posts. Sorry everyone! I got there first. A major milestone to be sure. Your'e way past getting all the Delcamp scores for free, but I'm sure they have a 1000 club. I got one more post after this one to score scores. So thanks for that. Congrats.

muirtan

Post by muirtan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks for pointing that out I hadn't noticed! I spend too much time on here ;)

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Don't mistake seasonal changes in humidity which naturally keep your nails more hydrated with the effects of a nail conditioner.

Peter Terpstra

Post by Peter Terpstra » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:25 am

Use it now for over one year and rarely break nails now, splitting of nails disappeared. Bring it on twice a day.
What i dislike about flexinail is that the tiny bottles are about $20,- which seems quite overpriced to me.
My masters are strange folk with very little care for music in them.

--Johann Sebastian Bach

jpryan

Post by jpryan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

raven wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:30 pm
I do wonder if just using some other kind of oil that is readily available and cheaper and without all the other ingredients might work just as well for me. I will probably do a comparison test of that to find out.
I did a comparison. I used Flexinail for six months after a couple of years of using another oil. For me there was no difference. Now I just use whatever oil I'm in the mood for (usually grapeseed) along with Vaseline® Intensive Care™ Healthy Hands Stronger Nails Lotion (used to be called "Healthy Hand and Nail"). Maybe the lotion by itself would be enough, but I won't be testing that; I'm leaving well enough alone.
--John

raven

Post by raven » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:23 pm

That's good to know John.

One more suggestion for those who use Flexinail, given the expense I wanted to make sure I never spilled a bottle. The bottles would be easy to accidentally tip over due to their shape/size. So I got a little block of wood and drilled a shallow hole 5/8" in diameter and pushed the base of the Flexinail bottle into that. It is very secure and easier to use this way.

David

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”