Precautions cleaning underneath nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
twistedblues

Precautions cleaning underneath nails?

Post by twistedblues » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm starting to grow my nails out and noticed dirt or whatever builds up pretty quickly Underneath the nails. I've been cleaning with a paper clip but just realized I'm probably slowly filing away the nail. Any tips on cleaning underneath the nails? Any precautions?

lagartija

Re: Precautions cleaning underneath nails?

Post by lagartija » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:14 pm

I don't think I would use a paper clip.... I generally use one of my *other* nails. Also, I usually use gloves for most household and garden tasks to keep my nails from drying out. It also keeps the dirt out. I use rubber gloves for the wet tasks, and Atlas Nitrile touch gloves for gardening and household tasks.
There are nail care kits in most drug stores that would have an implement intended for cleaning under the nail. Obviously, you don't want something too sharp that might injure the area under the nail where the nail adheres to the skin. Nor do you want something too abrasive that will thin the nail from underneath when you are cleaning.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21 pm

Makes perfect sense! Thank you :)

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:44 pm

I use a nailbrush when I wash my hands:
nailbrush.jpg
Put on a bit of soap and it cleans them out nicely!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”