Looking for a good nail strengthner

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rjc7313

Looking for a good nail strengthner

Post by rjc7313 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:15 pm

My nails have terrible genetics, I've been trying to grow them for the past 2 years but they just keep breaking. What good nail strengthner would you recommend on the market that is at a good price and has no dodgy side effects? I'm from Ireland if that helps

Note:New to this forum and first time posting

dtoh

Re: Looking for a good nail strengthner

Post by dtoh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:33 am

I would get a soft gel treatment at a manicurist. If you like it you can get a home application kit to save money. If you don't you can have it removed and try something else. I used to break nails every other week. Now I break a nail about once a year.

Others have reported that various nail conditioning creams and a better diet can also help, but these take longer and YMMV.

bear

Post by bear » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:19 am

I use multiple layers of "Sally Hansens Double Duty". It adds thickness to the nails and stands up to horseshoeing. It looks like a clear nail polish but I'm a bad arse so no one says anything.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:47 pm

bear wrote:I use multiple layers of "Sally Hansens Double Duty". It adds thickness to the nails and stands up to horseshoeing. It looks like a clear nail polish but I'm a bad arse so no one says anything.

FYI - You can buff it to a matte finish so it looks pretty close to natural nails.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:25 pm

Diet is the best way to strengthen the nails (certain foods, nutrients, etc.). Nail strengtheners that are applied to the nails directly that use natural oils and nutrients to strengthen the nail work well but avoid types with formaldehyde. They not only can turn the nails yellow (not a problem for people that wear nail polish), but they also make the nails less flexible. So while they get really hard, they also get quite brittle and will break rather than flex if put under enough force. Clear nail polish or polish type strengthener (I've tried Sally Hansen Thicken up and Nail Tek II and both are decent) with the shine buffed out work okay for a temporary fix while trying to use dietary methods to strengthen the nails. Be careful though as some nail polish is harsher on the nails than others and nail polish remover unless acetone free can really dry them out.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:31 am

I would say this about nail polishes. Before getting soft gel treatments, I tried different polishes including several of the ones mentioned in this thread.

IME and YMMV...

1. Polishes are less elastic (flexible) and therefore don't have as natural a feel or tone.
2. Polishes are more brittle so they are more likely to crack or break and as a result so are the underlying nails.
3. Polishes do not adhere as well as a soft gel so they don't last as long and this also means the nail is more susceptible to cracks and breaks.
4. Polishes are less expensive than a professional soft gel treatment.
5. Polishes can be removed more easily. (Soft gels also come off with acetone but it takes more time and effort.)

A couple of things to note.
6. The numbers of coats and thickness of the coats has a big impact on the results. The more gel or polish you apply, the less elastic the result.
7. Soft gels and hard gels are TOTALLY different.
8. As I said, YMMV. I've used nail polish and it helps, but for me soft gel treatments have totally solved the problem while maintaining a very natural tone and feel.
9. If in doubt, I would try different approaches. See what works for you.
10. Nail conditioning creams are basically moisturizers. Your nails are like the soundboard on your guitar. You don't want them to dry out too much.

rjc7313

Post by rjc7313 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Thanks for the responses
, I purchased a Sally Hansen product, hopefully that will help

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:41 pm

I have literally just now applied "Nail HQ" All in One (Acai Berry & Argan Oil). Smells like nail varnish!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

tcee

Post by tcee » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 am

Apart from a proper diet a good nail strengthener IMO is repeatedly tapping your nails against hard materials like concrete, wood etc. So for example, if you're waiting somewhere just tap your nails on the table or the chair. It works.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:39 am

tcee wrote:Apart from a proper diet a good nail strengthener IMO is repeatedly tapping your nails against hard materials like concrete, wood etc. So for example, if you're waiting somewhere just tap your nails on the table or the chair. It works.
That really works. I think it has something to donwith stimulating the nail roots. I would avoid anything that wasn't smooth though to avoid cracking and abrasions.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Mark567

Post by Mark567 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:06 pm

I've been taking 5000 mg of Biotin every day now for about 2 years and I swear by it! It took a few months to start getting results, but well worth the wait.
I used to constantly have breaks, now they seem to be "hard as nails"!
No side affects either.
2014 Marlon Navarro student classical 640mm
2000 Cordoba 40R 650mm

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:I have literally just now applied "Nail HQ" All in One (Acai Berry & Argan Oil). Smells like nail varnish!
If one may reply to oneself, I'd like to say that this stuff (above) does seem to have had a really nice effect. Am now on second application of it, having had a few days off. Trouble is I put it on rather thick last night, so its quite decorative ...
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

a human

Post by a human » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:30 am

Try using a bit of coconut nut oil on them in the morning and a bit of Vic's vapo rub in the evening. Take a daily biotin dose, and practice good nail filing techniques to keep rough edges at bay. Mine had gotten very fragile, but are greatly improved using this regimen. I think there may have been a fungus I couldn't see the topicals chased away.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
Martin Sigma DM-1 Dreadnaught (std)
2011 Cordoba Cadete Classical (615 mm)
2014 Martin DX1AE (std)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”