Nail care

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
belminokanovic

Nail care

Post by belminokanovic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:39 am

Hello,

I think this topic is very important for all guitarists.
What are the best products for nail care?

Saludos, :)

petermc61

Re: Nail care

Post by petermc61 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:52 am

Depends what you want to do or what problems you might have.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 am

There have been many posts here in the forum about all kinds of nail products and nail issues. There is even a whole subforum dedicated to nailmplaying:
viewforum.php?f=87
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:29 am

rojarosguitar wrote:There is even a whole subforum dedicated to nailmplaying: viewforum.php?f=87
Now moved!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:59 pm

I think the most important part is eating healthy food. I am probably lucky, I have strong nails that have never needed special care (so, probably I am not the one to ask ;)....) Oil or lotion to keep them from drying out might be good. Swimming in chlorinated water a lot seems not to be good for them. Practicing many hours a day on the guitar might require special tricks to prevent them from wearing down too quickly. But I don't get that many hours in.

George Stankovich

Post by George Stankovich » Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Best thing for strengthening nails is natural ones of corse.
My advice is: Olive oil and lemon,use about 4cm of olive oil and squeeze one half of lemon,put it in some small pot and store it in fridge(it can be used for few weeks).Before use put it on cooker and make it hot(not too much,you`ll see what temperature is suitable for you) when it`s hot put your fingers in oil and lemon trough intermediate phalanges and keep it in till oil is cold(about 10minutes).It is important to do that almost every day. After some reasonable time you`ll have strong and flexible nails(i noticed result after 2weeks).

I use that recipe long time ago (6-7 years),and it helped me permanently,since than i don`t have any problems with nails,they are strong and flexible what is most important.
I know it is a little bit complicated to bathe your fingers in oil but it`s worth it.

P.S. After you finished don`t wash hands immediately,give them good wiping with paper and prolong washing as long as you can (30-60minutes).

Streuer17

Post by Streuer17 » Sat May 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I too have been using this method with a little coconut oil and every now and then apple cider vinegar to promote healthy conditions under the nail.
Robt

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”