Channel or groove in right index nail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
David_Norton

Channel or groove in right index nail

Post by David_Norton » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:06 pm

All,

In the past 6-8 months, I have developed a channel or groove in my right index nail, running the entire length of the nail from the cuticle bed to the tip. No other nails are impacted on either hand. I can't find anything online about "why" this might occur. I suspect it is diet-related, but I'm at a loss as to what to add/delete from the diet. Nothing major has changed diet-wise in many years; my waistline attests to this!!
Nail1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

guitarrista

Re: Channel or groove in right index nail

Post by guitarrista » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:18 pm

I think I read somewhere that things like this can happen with age (not old age, just .. age). So unless there was a specific trauma to the finger that you remember, you may have to just let it be.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

astro64

Re: Channel or groove in right index nail

Post by astro64 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 pm

I don't know what the cause might be, but if it bothers your playing, I would recommend reshaping the nail every few days with a heated teaspoon. Works like a charm to get rid of a downward curving nail too, or to get more arch in a very flat nail. It might remove the unwanted dip in your nail's tip.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”