Weak nail on dedo anular

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
kirolak

Weak nail on dedo anular

Post by kirolak » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:16 am

My a finger has the weakest nail, which is also quite narrow - it sounds tinny in comparison to the i, & particularly, the m, fingers. :(

I have to use acrylic powder & glue on all the nails, but the a is still making a tinny noise. I tend to "favour" it it little, so as not to damage it as it feels quite sensitive, & find I am using the m finger in places where i is indicated. Does it really matter if I do this - I will never play in public, but still I'd like to achieve the best I can. :|

Sinderion

Re: Weak nail on dedo anular

Post by Sinderion » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:02 am

The way I solved this problem was by experimenting with different shapes for that nail. I wound up having i and m filed as #3 and a as #4.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... a26f87.jpg

I also remember an article on the Aaron Shearer Foundation website being useful. To find it, search in Google for: "Tone Quality and Your Nails" (including the quotes)

You should, in my opinion, work to improve the sound of the anular, instead of excluding it, because it will make it easier to play block chords, arpeggios, and maybe tremolo at some point. And since the a finger usually plays the highest note, it's tone will be the most readily perceived.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”