How can I compensate for a broken nail?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
CliffP

Re: How can I compensate for a broken nail?

Post by CliffP » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't find a way to create a fake nail for the one that was missing other than to buy fake nails but, in the process of reading and checking out the suggestions above, I did find a way to reinforce the thumbnail that, so far, has been far superior to the ping pong ball which lasted about a week. The James Taylor video suggested above introduced me to the fiberglass-reinforced nail wrap and Kiss Nail glue. Using instructions from the Taylor video I managed to initially construct a thumbnail that lasted about 4 weeks and my second attempt has lasted at least 6 weeks and is still intact, although I should note that I may play/practice 4 to 6 hours a week if I'm lucky. Additionally, I was directed to Healthy Hoof and have been using that for maybe 4 months now and have noticed much stronger nails. Please note that this is not an advertisement for any product, I just thought I'd pass along what I found for any other newbies having the same problems.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 pm

CliffP wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:51 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I didn't find a way to create a fake nail for the one that was missing other than to buy fake nails but, in the process of reading and checking out the suggestions above, I did find a way to reinforce the thumbnail that, so far, has been far superior to the ping pong ball which lasted about a week. The James Taylor video suggested above introduced me to the fiberglass-reinforced nail wrap and Kiss Nail glue. Using instructions from the Taylor video I managed to initially construct a thumbnail that lasted about 4 weeks and my second attempt has lasted at least 6 weeks and is still intact, although I should note that I may play/practice 4 to 6 hours a week if I'm lucky. Additionally, I was directed to Healthy Hoof and have been using that for maybe 4 months now and have noticed much stronger nails. Please note that this is not an advertisement for any product, I just thought I'd pass along what I found for any other newbies having the same problems.
Has anybody ever tried Alaska Piks? It seems that would be an easier alternative, although on second thought it would probably interfere with getting a good nail/flesh combo. I don't have very long nails so it's not quite as jarring if one should break. I've heard a lot of good things about Guitar Player Nails as well. Eliot Fisk and several of the teachers/performers here use them I think.

dory

Post by dory » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:15 am

Do NOT get an acrylic nail. It will damage your real nail. Furthermore the one time I got an acrylic nail it caused an unpleasant click although I am not sure this happens to everyone. They sell press on nails at the drugstore that come pre-loaded with a glue that resembles rubber cement. They peel off when you need them to, but hold on firmly enough that you can play. The only problem is that some come in colors but you can get a very pale pink-- almost flesh toned. The other possibility is Rico nails. They are slightly inconvenient as you have to put them on before playing and take them off after, but they are otherwise pretty good. The drugstore nails are easier.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:09 am

I also use KISS nail glue to reinforce my naiks. They have a brush on superglue that I brush lightly over the part of my nail that extends beyong the quick. At first it was a bit lumpy but I have gotten better at it and I can barely tell it is there except that I no longer break nails. There is just a tiny area that is a bit shiny if you look carefully.
Dory

Grooveman JS

Post by Grooveman JS » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:17 am

robin loops wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm
I personally just trim the other nails to match. If too short to use at all, I go fishing, play the electric, or do something else for a few days until there a little bit of nail to work with.
I think this is the better option; natural is always the way to go........we'll get use to it after a while even with shorter nails; just let hot grow out in about 2 weeks or so.....
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 am

Inspired by videos of Chinese Pipa players I tried to attach an artificial plastic (nylon?) nail to my finger with a silk adhesive tape and shape it as I would shape a natural nail. It works well and doesn't involve the use of any kind of glue or else that could damage the natural nail...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:42 am

I used to have this problem. I'd ending playing with just a and m for a week. Then just a and i for a week, etc., etc. The I started getting soft gel treatments. Since then.... no broken nails. And BTW soft gel and acrylics are totally different animals.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am

What is soft gel then?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Swin

Post by Swin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:54 pm

CliffP wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:51 pm
The James Taylor video suggested above introduced me to the fiberglass-reinforced nail wrap and Kiss Nail glue. Using instructions from the Taylor video I managed to initially construct a thumbnail that lasted about 4 weeks and my second attempt has lasted at least 6 weeks and is still intact, although I should note that I may play/practice 4 to 6 hours a week if I'm lucky.
I also use fiberglass (as instructed by James Taylor) because my natural nails are naturally terrible in that they are paper thin and will tear and split even before they reach the end of my finger without the fiberglass. I also use a nail glue drying spray that I bought off of Amazon. It is fantastic. Not only does it cut down on the amount of time I spend working on my nails, it makes them even harder. You don't, however, want to breathe in the fumes. I have to spray my nail outside to avoid inhaling the noxious fumes. But it does work amazingly well.

I have shortened my i, m, a nails as a result of reading other people's experiences, though. I also used to play without nails, but my playing was much too quiet for my tastes. If my technique were better, I think I might be able to pull off playing as well without them as Mr. Mackillop does... Well, maybe not that well, but perhaps better at least.

Incidentally, my "a" finger does click at times while the others do not... Which I also contribute to my need for improved technique. Work in progress...

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:32 am

rojarosguitar wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 am
What is soft gel then?
It's a treatment that is similar to acrylics but uses a much more flexible resin so you get a very natural tone and feel. It's been commercially available for about five years. I get mine done at a salon, but there are kits for home application available as well. The treatment for one hand at a salon costs about $30 and lasts for about 3 weeks.
Last edited by dtoh on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:28 am

I'll check that out here ...
thanks

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”