I have given up on natural methods so...

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
dory

I have given up on natural methods so...

Post by dory » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:19 am

I can no longer get Veralac which was the only thing that kept my nails strong so I resorted to a less natural method. I always keep my nails quite short-- to just beyond my fingertips, but they got so bad I could not tolerate even that. I began covering just the tips-- the part that extends beyond the tips witg brush on superglue. I buy KISS brand nail glue that comes with a brush. The trick is brushing on a thin layer and making sure not to touch my nails until I am sure it is dry. It is good to put it on while doing something like watching TV, so I am distracted and don't start touching my nails. It is just barely visible. There is just a slight shine to the very tips of my fingernails. I figure since I put the glue just on the very tips where the nail is not touching the flesh, the chance of allergies is small, and also, since just the tips get glue, and since I never use remover-- just gradually file off the part with glue on it, chances of major damage to my nails is slight. I actually have good and strong nails this way. Since the layer of glue is thin, I don't get the unpleasant clicking noise I sometimes get with fake or acrylic nails, if they are too thick. I have to reapply every week or two. At first I kept messing up and getting too thick a layer on, covering too mych of my nail, or touching my nails too soon to check if they were dry and getting an ugly although still usable surface. I have gotten much better with time.
Dory

Seifeldin

Re: I have given up on natural methods so...

Post by Seifeldin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 am

Did you try Mavala?

dory

Post by dory » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:17 pm

No. What is it? The superglue actually works amazingly well ( I haven't broken a nail in a very long time) and doesn't look that bad but of course it is not natural. I will look up Mavala just to see. I just did hear a radio show doctor say that the absolute worst thing for nails is dishwashing soap and I have never been able to stand rubber gloves, and don't have a dishwasher because I don't want to give up the cabinet space in my kitchen.
Dory

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:47 pm

There's this rapid nail-dry spray you can get that will instantly dry the superglue... just wash your hands a few minutes later, no waiting, no worry about touching your skin.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:41 pm

Acrylic works, but I use a skilled person who can extend the length with the brush so no glue-on nail tip is needed.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:49 pm

I get soft gel treatments at a salon.

Super easy

Great tone

Extremely tough

Only downside is the cost

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:55 pm

I have seen Paco Pena talk about coating his nails in glue. I think its pretty common with the flamenco players.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

raven

Post by raven » Wed May 03, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks for this tip Dory. I may try this, seems like a good option for the reasons you said. I am about 3 months into my Flexinail experiment but if this doesn't work out I will use your method next.
David

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Wed May 03, 2017 7:31 pm

I heard that if you pee on your nails three times a day and don't wash your hands for a month your nails will become very strong.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 pm

dory wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:17 pm
... don't have a dishwasher because I don't want to give up the cabinet space in my kitchen.
Curious solution I heard about somewhere - and older couple put in two dishwashers instead of all sorts of storage. All their dishes, cutlery and so on fits in one dishwasher. As they use stuff it moves from the "clean" dishwasher to the "dirty" dishwashers. Once one is full and the other is empty, they run the wash cycle. "Stuff" is strictly limited to what fits in one dishwasher. A different approach to storage.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”