Anyone not use nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
twistedblues

Anyone not use nails?

Post by twistedblues » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Anyone not grow their nails? And just use mainly the flesh of the fingertips?

Anyone have a list of players who don't or didn't use nails?

Sor?

Hope I posted this in the correct area!
Last edited by twistedblues on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: Anyone not use nails?

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Here comes Rob...

:-)

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Rob Sansnails?

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Rob MacKillop, I think. If you google his name you will find his website.

I have to say I don't understand the point of listing historical players who didn't use nails, when we can't hear what they sounded like and when the instruments they were playing - especially the strings - were quite different from modern guitars.

Recently there was what amounted to a "name your favourite guitarist" thread. It would be interesting to know whether any of the players on that list go about sans nails. The question might be a bit metaphysical in Zoran's case, but if you look at the players who actually exist and are walking the earth, or once did, I doubt there is even one.

I dislike having nails but I do let them grow a bit, because the players who inspire me most all have nails and I hope to sound like them one day. Maybe they just got funnelled into it and never experimented enough with flesh playing to find out that all of the hassle that goes with nails is actually unnecessary - but nails aren't such a problem that I'm prepared to gamble on that.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:35 pm

Mr Kite wrote:Rob MacKillop, I think. If you google his name you will find his website.

I have to say I don't understand the point of listing historical players who didn't use nails, when we can't hear what they sounded like and when the instruments they were playing - especially the strings - were quite different from modern guitars.
You can certainly hear Rob. He has many videos on this site and on his web site in his beautiful, intimate, nail-less style, many on period instruments. His site is a history of guitarists who play(ed) sans claws.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Looks like Rob plays the strings from underneath a little bit to compensate for volume

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_NBJbYJZo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC7tSW1s9tM

fraim

Post by fraim » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 pm

virginia luque, a fabulous guitarist, plays with no nails. but she had segovia teach her how to trim them!

i'm not a fabulous guitarist but i play with nails ; )

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:05 pm

I wonder what he taught her specifically?

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 am

Mr Kite wrote: I have to say I don't understand the point of listing historical players who didn't use nails, when we can't hear what they sounded like and when the instruments they were playing - especially the strings - were quite different from modern guitars.
A number of period instruments survive...and while it's true that the gut strings produced now aren't exactly the same as then, it's still a fair approximation (albeit subjective) of the general sound of the period.

Check out Gabriel Schebor here playing Carcassi on a period instrument with period no nails technique:

Youtube

Also, for more "modern" no nails player's check out Emilio Pujol and Renata Tarrago. Both were very influential in Spain.
2013 Joseph Redman Lutz/Wenge
Antonio Aparicio AA70 Spruce
"I am not fast." - Baymax

LesC

Post by LesC » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 am

fraim wrote:virginia luque, a fabulous guitarist, plays with no nails. but she had segovia teach her how to trim them!

i'm not a fabulous guitarist but i play with nails ; )
I'm curious why you need to learn how to trim nails if you don't use them? I clip my nails as short as possible, and have never been happier since I stopped trying to grow them.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:22 am

Yes, I play without nails, and have done so for over twenty years. I have a website half devoted to playing without nails, half to my performances and other things: http://rmClassicalGuitar.com

You will find a Players page, with a list of players passed and present who played without nails, many of whom made recordings, and quite a few who are still active today. The styles run from Romantic through to avante-garde.

I interviewed Virginia Lucque about her technique - which is formidable! - wherein she revealed that it was indeed Segovia who gave her some tips on how some players used to do it. For some it involved growing the nail a little so that it adds strength to the flesh, yet not long enough to reach the string. The difference between not long enough and too long is very short, so needs daily attention. Not all flesh players adopt this technique, I certainly don't.

Anyway, lots more info on the website.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:01 am

I play also without nails For 50 years.

My teacher José-Maria Sierra-Fortuny, a disciple and friend of Pujol, taught me to play without a nail.
And this method suits me perfectly. I also taught it to my students.

:limaeunghie: :guitare:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:21 pm

Then, Isabelle, I hope your first emoji is filing away her nails altogether? :-)

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:09 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Then, Isabelle, I hope your first emoji is filing away her nails altogether? :-)
Of course !

The left hand, then the right hand! :wink:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Haha. Glad to hear it!

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”