Experience with Tone Tips

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rojarosguitar

Experience with Tone Tips

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun May 14, 2017 6:25 pm

As my fingernails are frail and prone to accidents I'm always on the look for some other possibilities to protect or replace them.
I just cam across a product called 'Tone Tips' made by a brand called Tiptonic.

From the homepage it is not even clear whether they are available or not. Does anyone here have information or even a hands-on experience with them (maybe NAMM Show?)
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Eberhard Mueller

Re: Experience with Tone Tips

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sun May 14, 2017 10:00 pm

It looks like they have them out only for professional evaluation and endorsement. According to their site, you can leave them with your e-mail address and be "the first to know" when tone tips are available. Alas, I'm hesitant to leave my email address with just anyone, as I don't need a mailbox full of spam. Perhaps, they would allow you to "evaluate" a set in order to spread the word on this site?

By the looks and sound of this, I'm rather excited and interested in this product. I have been gluing on nails because my own are all of thin, brittle, ridged and otherwise misshapen. Some of the misshapen characteristics of my nails seem to be symptomatic of an auto-immune dermatological disorder called Lichen Planus. On the other hand, it could be plain "Old-Timer" affliction which seems to effect hearing, vision and whatever you have.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 am

In the meantime, you might look up Alaska Piks, if you haven't already.
-Bob

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Just looked at the site and the idea is intriguing... but I don't notice a thumbnail, unless that's the oddly-shaped one. Would like to know if a full set includes a thumb, and if they can be shaped with a file. Right now they look like they're more for steel-string/electric players or more casual nylon-string players -- nothing wrong with that, but we know how specific CGers get about nail shape. I put my name in for news; maybe I'll ask to evaluate 'em, too.

Would be nice too if they came in black, white, and beige -- the latter being a bit less obvious.

Edit: just watched their videos. They give you i, m, a and c nails, but no p... and the adhesive should "last through several wearings". I wrote to them, let's see if they reply.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:45 pm

celestemcc, I assume you're talking about Tone Tips as opposed to the Alaska Piks I mentioned above. But for anyone interested in Alaska Piks, they can be shaped with clippers and file. If you search YouTube for "shaping Alaska Pik," you'll find several videos. There are Piks for P, I, M and A. Our own host, M. Delcamp, demonstrates them at the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TD-ZCsN7o

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 am

I have written to them (Tiptonic) requesting to evaluate the pics and got a very polite letter that they are already going over from R&D to production (I guess that is politely saying they are not sending out items for evaluation anymore). They expect to start the sale in the USA in July this year with international sales soon to follow.

Here's what the also write: "Our picks are designed to give Classical guitarist options from the traditional length described in the Christopher Parkening books to the much longer styles available to acrylic nail users".

Promissing...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm

I just got an email announcement from Tiptonic this morning: they're starting to ship August 21st. Starter Kit is recommended; you get the device which refreshes the mild adhesive the nail tips use, plus a device to precisely size your nails; and a box for storage. Once you determine the sizes you need, you enter them online and they'll ship (no extra cost, you paid for it up front) two sets of nails plus two sets in "alternative" sizes.

You apparently do need a tiny bit of natural nail but they insist they'll also work if you don't have any at all.

Size range and availability of lengths seems pretty comprehensive. We'll see... I decided to spring for a Starter Kit, as I'm having an awful time with my thumb nail and just broke m (and I rarely break i, m, or a, knock wood...).

I've tried lots of other nail solutions; will be interesting to see how these work. Google "tiptonic nails". It will try to correct it to "tiptRonic" but don't let it fool you; you'll find the right site.

Anyone else going to try them?
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:46 pm

celestemcc wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:53 pm
Anyone else going to try them?
Oh my! They are a tad pricier than I had anticipated, especially factoring in exchange and shipping to come to over $160 CA. I may not be an early adopter in this case, (though known to change my mind.) In comparison, fake nails from China and a bottle of nail glue from the dollar store is all it takes to nail-up for a year or more at $10. Albeit, the latter is not a perfect solution and Tonetips may not be so, either.

I really appreciate that you took the plunge and have obviously decided the price is OK. I'm eager to read about your experiences with tonetips! :)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:31 pm

Thanks Neil! That's the down side... won't know till I try! Wow, that IS expensive, it's the shipping, I imagine? That's over double what I'm paying, and I'm East Coast US.

Won't receive them until late this month or early September, I imagine, but I'll definitely write up a review!
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:45 pm

do not use Alaska pics as they do not let your fingertips relax and create a lot of tension in your hands. I believe it was one reason I got Focal dystonia.
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:00 pm

I took a look and these would not cause the problem alaska pics do so might be a great solution. the nails themselves are not too expensive but the starter kit is. Curious if anyone has tried them yet??
2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan)2009 Eric Monrad(maple)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2003 Tacchi Simplcio satinwood 2017 E. Bottelli 52 Hauser, 2014 Joshua DeJonge Cedar( for sale) 2002 Jeff Elliott spruce.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:27 am

Curious if anyone has tried them yet??
They're being released August 21, see my post above. I figure I'll get mine by early September. Can't find any advance reviews of them, unfortunately, but decided to take the risk. We'll see...
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Eberhard Mueller

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 am

celestemcc wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:31 pm
...Wow, that IS expensive, it's the shipping, I imagine? That's over double what I'm paying, and I'm East Coast US.
They want $126.45 with international shipping, plus our crappy currency exchange and we are above the $160 CA mark. Usually, customs doesn't apply taxes but once in a while, that's an extra 12%. However, if your experience is good, I'll still go for it.
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 am

I can tell you with 100% certainty that these "picks" will not cut it for classical or flamenco guitar. Not for professional players anyway.They'd be OK for electric or steel string players possibly, if you just use them for vocal accompaniment or simple finger picking. For classical guitar, they will be too bulky, muffled, and limit your dexterity and playing ability. In order for these things to fit over the tip of your nail the way they do; underneath and above, they simply will be too fat and bulky for classical or flamenco guitar. About the same or worse than Alaska Piks. That's just part of the problem with these. If you want the diversity of tone and the feel of a natural fingernail, these won't do it. Having owned guitarplayernails.com for over 25 years now, we've been through it all. We know what works and what doesn't. At least for professional players and if you want professional results. If you want the proper standards for tone and feel, and you don't want to limit your dexterity, then don't waste your $ on these. Pretty expensive too.
Having great sounding artificial nails is a specific science. There are things you need to do, basics you have to be aware of in order to get good results. If you're not aware of what these things are, most likely you won't won't get satisfactory results.

This is what a good artificial nail should look like.
It should look and feel like a great natural nail.
(This is an artificial nail).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am

davekear wrote:I can tell you with 100% certainty that these "picks" will not cut it ... If you want the diversity of tone and the feel of a natural fingernail, these won't do it. Having owned guitarplayernails.com for over 25 years now, we've been through it all. We know what works and what doesn't ... If you want the proper standards for tone and feel, and you don't want to limit your dexterity, then don't waste your $ on these. Pretty expensive too.
For the record, I disagree with Dave almost 100% on everything else he says about guitar playing but ... his GPN method absolutely does a great job. I unreservedly reccomend the system to anyone who struggles with their natural nails.

I used them consistently for many months at a time and over several years with no adverse effects - the tones one is capable of producing are easily as wide ranging as those produced by natural nails (much, much better than you might have heard on the promotional video examples) and, with just a little practice, they are easy to work with and apply.

Alaska-piks ... I wouldn't use those to pick my nose (and yes, I have tried them for guitar playing).

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”