Experience with Tone Tips

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rojarosguitar

Experience with Tone Tips

Post by rojarosguitar » Sun May 14, 2017 6:25 pm

As my fingernails are frail and prone to accidents I'm always on the look for some other possibilities to protect or replace them.
I just cam across a product called 'Tone Tips' made by a brand called Tiptonic.

From the homepage it is not even clear whether they are available or not. Does anyone here have information or even a hands-on experience with them (maybe NAMM Show?)
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Eberhard Mueller

Re: Experience with Tone Tips

Post by Eberhard Mueller » Sun May 14, 2017 10:00 pm

It looks like they have them out only for professional evaluation and endorsement. According to their site, you can leave them with your e-mail address and be "the first to know" when tone tips are available. Alas, I'm hesitant to leave my email address with just anyone, as I don't need a mailbox full of spam. Perhaps, they would allow you to "evaluate" a set in order to spread the word on this site?

By the looks and sound of this, I'm rather excited and interested in this product. I have been gluing on nails because my own are all of thin, brittle, ridged and otherwise misshapen. Some of the misshapen characteristics of my nails seem to be symptomatic of an auto-immune dermatological disorder called Lichen Planus. On the other hand, it could be plain "Old-Timer" affliction which seems to effect hearing, vision and whatever you have.
Neil Douglas 2001 (German Spruce / German Maple)
Neil Douglas 1992 (Engelmann Spruce / Brazilian Rosewood)
La Patrie Motif
Cordoba Mini M

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 am

In the meantime, you might look up Alaska Piks, if you haven't already.
-Bob

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 pm

Just looked at the site and the idea is intriguing... but I don't notice a thumbnail, unless that's the oddly-shaped one. Would like to know if a full set includes a thumb, and if they can be shaped with a file. Right now they look like they're more for steel-string/electric players or more casual nylon-string players -- nothing wrong with that, but we know how specific CGers get about nail shape. I put my name in for news; maybe I'll ask to evaluate 'em, too.

Would be nice too if they came in black, white, and beige -- the latter being a bit less obvious.

Edit: just watched their videos. They give you i, m, a and c nails, but no p... and the adhesive should "last through several wearings". I wrote to them, let's see if they reply.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:45 pm

celestemcc, I assume you're talking about Tone Tips as opposed to the Alaska Piks I mentioned above. But for anyone interested in Alaska Piks, they can be shaped with clippers and file. If you search YouTube for "shaping Alaska Pik," you'll find several videos. There are Piks for P, I, M and A. Our own host, M. Delcamp, demonstrates them at the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TD-ZCsN7o

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue May 16, 2017 9:38 am

I have written to them (Tiptonic) requesting to evaluate the pics and got a very polite letter that they are already going over from R&D to production (I guess that is politely saying they are not sending out items for evaluation anymore). They expect to start the sale in the USA in July this year with international sales soon to follow.

Here's what the also write: "Our picks are designed to give Classical guitarist options from the traditional length described in the Christopher Parkening books to the much longer styles available to acrylic nail users".

Promissing...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”