Experience with Tone Tips

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
davekear

Re: Experience with Tone Tips

Post by davekear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:06 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am

For the record, I disagree with Dave almost 100% on everything else he says about guitar playing but ... his GPN method absolutely does a great job. I unreservedly reccomend the system to anyone who struggles with their natural nails.

I used them consistently for many months at a time and over several years with no adverse effects - the tones one is capable of producing are easily as wide ranging as those produced by natural nails (much, much better than you might have heard on the promotional video examples) and, with just a little practice, they are easy to work with and apply.

Alaska-piks ... I wouldn't use those to pick my nose (and yes, I have tried them for guitar playing).
You probably don't disagree with 100% of what I say :)...... I hope. I'm usually a pretty agreeable guy. What, because I like the sound of nails over just flesh? We'd probably agree on many things. I actually can be very diplomatic if I want to be.
Anyway, I'm glad you like our guitarplayernails. We've been doin it for a long time. We're pretty good at it.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am

davekear wrote:You probably don't disagree with 100% of what I say
Lol - I did qualify it with "almost" ...
... and I'm a confirmed nail player Dave - I only mentioned my disagreement to put the endorsement in context.

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am
davekear wrote:You probably don't disagree with 100% of what I say
Lol - I did qualify it with "almost" ...
... and I'm a confirmed nail player Dave - I only mentioned my disagreement to put the endorsement in context.
That's good. Mark, I think we'd agree guitar wise on many things.
I noticed you said: (Our nails sound much better than you might have heard on the promotional video examples) We have as video examples Eliot Fisk and Grisha Goryachev! I thought they sounded pretty good. OK, here's another recent one from Grisha. He's been using our nails for over 15 years now. Here he is again using our guitarplayernails on all fingers and thumb:
Youtube

Sounds pretty good to me.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:44 pm

davekear wrote:Here he is again using our guitarplayernails on all fingers and thumb:
Yes - it's great playing, and a bright, clear sound - perfect for its purpose; but it doesn't demonstrate the great sweetness and depth of tone that is also possible using your product.

Some people might be put off through imagining that the more brilliant, harder edged tone is what GPN produces when, in fact, it is down to the player - GPN on Grisha sounds like Grisha - on me they sound like me.

That's one of the things I like about them - they are as versatile and personal as our real nails - something that I have found not to be the case with other solutions.

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks!

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 am

so has anyone received the tone tips yet? thoughts?
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)
2012 Martin Blackwell(for sale), 2001 Dominique Field(for sale)
Cedar, 2014 Joshua DeJonge( for sale)

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:32 am

Dofpic wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:00 am
so has anyone received the tone tips yet? thoughts?
OK, here's my thoughts. These Tone Tips will not work well for classical or flamenco players. The design has many flaws. One major flaw is that they are way too thick, way too much bulk. Getting a great sound and diversity of tone out of artificial fingernails is an exact science. These nails in essence have three layers, since they wrap around the bottom of your nail and also cover the top. It's basically sandwiching your natural nail. They're just going to go thud. No highs, lack of clarity, and diminished dexterity. I'm sure there will be some who like these, but they will be beginning or intermediate players who are not aware of what good nails feel and sound like. This kind of thing happens quite often with beginning and intermediate players, which is why it's important to have a good teacher at these levels. Of course there may be the rare (very rare) professional player who might use these nails and sound OK. In the same sense if you give a pro billiard player a broom stick instead of a good cue. So there will inevitably be those who will waste a great deal of their time with these things, and eventually will give up on them. If they continue to use products like these as a permanent solution, mediocre guitar playing will be the result.

Henny

Post by Henny » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am

i would say use your own experience and judgement.

enough examples of people who make their own decisions:
look at the thumb nail of Jason Vieaux,
or the video of Nilov:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VK73iG0AN8&t=68s

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Henny wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 am
i would say use your own experience and judgement.

enough examples of people who make their own decisions:
look at the thumb nail of Jason Vieaux,
Yea, ping pong balls have been a valid alternative for many years if used correctly. That's more of an example of listening to someone who is one of the best at what he does. Can't go wrong following Jason. However there are lots of people who make their own decisions that many times turn out not so good. Follow those who do what they do well. Take their advice. Nothing wrong with standing on the shoulders of those who can demonstrate their skills.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Received notice that I'll be getting my sizing guide for the Tiptonic nails next week. Once I choose nail sizes I assume it won't be too very long till I receive them. Hoping these will be a good temporary solution till I get my natural nails back in shape...
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:58 pm

dave It sounds like these are your opinions but have you actually tried them?
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober(maple), 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)2009 Eric Monrad(maple/Brazilian/spruce)

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:33 pm

Dofpic wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:58 pm
dave It sounds like these are your opinions but have you actually tried them?
I've seen the anatomy of how they "work". I don't need to try them.They may be OK for a temporary emergency fix until your nail grows out. But there are better temporary solutions. I've dedicated more than 1/2 of my life to the science and art of artificial fingernails. I know what works and what doesn't work and why. Understanding the anatomy of good tone and performance, and what's necessary in order to achieve that, is very important. As I said before, there are many beginning and intermediate guitar players who are not aware of how to achieve the timbre, diversity of tone, and feel that is necessary for the high standards of professional playing..... because they've never experienced it. Which in most cases will lead to poor performance and confusion as to why one is not progressing or getting the desired results when using non-optimum nail products. It's not an easy thing. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's a good idea for beginning students to even attempt to use artificial nails without the help of a good teacher. Great tone and feel from artificial fingernails can be achieved to a very high degree. But one must know what one is striving for. And one must know the proper techniques in order to achieve this. Artificial nails should look, feel and sound like great natural nails. And, in most cases, one must have experienced that with their natural nails in order to duplicate it. And many beginning and intermediate players have not had this experience.
This is an example of what a good artificial nail should look like.The thumb is also an artificial nail.
z3JPG.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by davekear on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:22 am

So what nails are they? They look like the ones I use. Prescription nails. Love em

davekear

Post by davekear » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:35 am

Dofpic wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:22 am
So what nails are they?
GuitarPlayerNails.com

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:05 pm

I have not seen them, but having tried almost everything I'm fairly certain they'll be a huge waste of money. I've been using acrylics for years and they are fine, but I don't use an artificial tip underneath, this is key. Recently I've heard one great player using the thinner and more flexible UV cured gel nails. I'm going to try that next, but again, don't glue any artificial nails to your natural nail, just find someone who knows how to use a nail form and can build the gel or acrylic right on top of your nail and extend it a little if needed.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”