First Aid Nail - No Glue!

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rojarosguitar

First Aid Nail - No Glue!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Having from time to time broken nails I tried many things, including:
- glued on acrylic nails
- modelled gel nails
these ruin my natural nails even more, so I withdrew from that...

- Butterfly picks
- Alaska picks

Butterfly picks give a nice full sound, but somehow it feels like playing with somebody else's' nails :wink:

Recently I saw a Chinese Pipa player and noticed that she wears funny picks on her fingers, so I did a bit of research on Youtube and found that the attach some kind of plastic picks to their finger by means of a adhesive tape.
Having some stock of acrylic nails from my former practices I thought I give it a try. I formed a nail as I used to do and first attached it using an adhesive double sided point, but the nail didn't stay very long, so I tried (very crudly, as I don't have a silk tape presently at home, so using a transparent office tape) to attach it with tape - and, it WORKS!
The only disadvantage, but this is due to a too wide tape, is that I cant bend the last joint as much as I'm used to, but playing feeling is quite good and it feels stable, no anxiety that the nail would fly away any minute...
NailFirstAid.jpg
Seems like a usable first aid ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

CathyCate

Re: First Aid Nail - No Glue!

Post by CathyCate » Sat May 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks!
Good suggestion for the emergency toolkit.

rojarosguitar

Re: First Aid Nail - No Glue!

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 20, 2017 4:49 pm

At least a little bit less desperation ... :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”