Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
guit-box

Re: Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Post by guit-box » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 am

Tom Poore wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:16 pm
glassynails wrote: Should may nails only go to the end of my fingertips and not over? I also think that Scott Tenant also says something similar in his series.
Tennant indeed says this in “Pumping Nylon.” (At least in the 1995 edition—maybe newer editions have changed.) But in this specific case, he’s flat wrong. In fact, in the same book he elsewhere illustrates correct nail shapes in which the nail clearly extends beyond the fingertip. I’ve never understood why this obvious contradiction was allowed into print.

You can see this for yourself in the following video. Skip ahead to the 2:04 mark.

Youtube

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA
Haha, yeah good call, if the nail is ramped like the pictures then part of the nail IS going to extend past the flesh and part will be below the flesh. There are lots of contradictions in Pumping Nylon.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

I also basically play with the nails to the tip of the fingers. They may go over a bit sometimes, but usually I find I like the sound when I play with a little more finger flesh.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”