Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
guitarrista

Re: Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Post by guitarrista » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:11 pm

acmost9 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:59 am
That whole nail thing with William Kanengiser was a little freaky. :)
For sure :-) I had to suppress gag reflexes when he first ripped that giant nail off the "finger" :lol:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

guitarrista

Re: Segovia said the nails should only come to the ends of the fingers, never over?

Post by guitarrista » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:19 pm

ashepps wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 am
"As Kanengizer explains, it does not matter how long the nails LOOK. Their apparent length(two ill-defined factors)
OK Alan, but it's like you have not really seen the video. When you say "ill-defined" in regards to how long the nail look ("their apparent length" is the same concept) - Kanengizer defines it very well just a bit earlier in the video by saying that most people look at the amount of white at the edge of a nail - if it is a lot it gives the impression of a longer nail. So this is the "how long the nail LOOK" bit. And his point is that what really matters is how the flesh and nail edge line up once you press that flesh to the string and start deriving a sound. And in both cases they line up more similarly than it would be implied based on the apparent length or amount of white.
Konstantin
--

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Konstantin,

I am 68, so I have been around awhile. You could be right, but I am not dwelling on the white I see, but the u.god..y length of nail compared to the whole hand if you want! Ridiculous, but it seems they can play.

If the nails are the type that hooks down you need to keep them short, like mine. Do nails hook up? If so, how is that corrected, I guess I missed it.

As I mentioned, I should stay out of this conversation as neither of us is getting anywhere, having differing opinions and that is OK!

But I do feel I was asking a question about the ability to play with excessive nails, not what other guitarists truly need for their own particular length.

Cheers,

Alan
Last edited by ashepps on Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:49 pm

ashepps wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:44 pm
What is the problem with the tips of the fingers when white or free space is an inch or longer?
I agree that past a certain length it should be a problem. I guess I don't really know whom you are referring to - especially if we are talking about concert guitarists. I feel that it would be helpful to provide concrete examples.
Konstantin
--

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Konstantin,

I really can’t give you names, but I am sure you have seen artists with extremely long nails and wondered how in the heck can they play with those long nails and I don’t mean 3mm? I mean excessively long nails that I am sure we have all seen, but they can pull it off!

How can they do that? That’s all I can say!

Alan

I am far from a great guitar player, but once mine
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”