Nails for Rest Stroke

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
meouzer

Nails for Rest Stroke

Post by meouzer » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm

I might be interested in primarily using rest strokes. Any hints on nails for rest strokes. Short? Uphill? Downhill? Rounded? Whatever.
My main problem is that my nails snag too much: OK with free stroke. I haven't experimented a lot yet.

davekear

Re: Nails for Rest Stroke

Post by davekear » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:35 pm

How you file your nails is very important when it comes to "snagging". Make sure to file your nail as straight as possible, especially at the corners, so that when you hold a straight edge (file etc.) along the length of the nail, that there is no gap the entire length. Also you can't just primarily use rest strokes. How're you gonna do an arpeggio? And all sorts of other stuff. You need to be able to transition between both strokes at will. I'd find a good teacher, if only for 6 months or so, get you off on the right foot.

punyama

Post by punyama » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:59 am

Generally I keep my nails ramped and rounded, also not too long since that might add to nail snagging. Maybe around 1-3 mm from the tip of my finger- it mostly depends on your nail shape and how you place your fingers on the strings so it might take some experimenting. I file my nails so that the edge/corner of my nail wont show, but would extend like a ramp from the side of my finger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fraim

Post by fraim » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:06 pm

+1 @punyama
the only difference is i keep mine about 3x longer. i experimented the last 5+yrs before settling in on my present length/shape over the last year & i think that is what you'll have to do as well.
but like dave said above, you'll need both & transition smoothly between them.
ymmv

Daniel Penalva

Post by Daniel Penalva » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:39 am

Your Rest Stroke technique will depend on the angle you stroke the string. You need to stroke the string downwards . I recomend the Polyphonie and the Rest Stroke exercises from D01 by Mr Delcamp. My Nails :
Unhas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”