Swimming warps my nails, help?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Eric Shacklett

Swimming warps my nails, help?

Post by Eric Shacklett » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Hi all,

So, my nails hook down a bit and I've found I can straighten them, or well, correct them, using the ball end of a tuning fork and my wife's hair straightener, this usually lasts about a week or 2 before I feel I have to reset them, but since summer started and my 5 year old is getting much more water-confident, I've been in a pool just about every day. I'm starting to notice that my nails are completely warped back and hooking quite a bit the morning after any time spent in a pool.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it just me? Any one have any suggestions?

Kent

Re: Swimming warps my nails, help?

Post by Kent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:33 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davebones

Post by davebones » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:48 am

I am using Healthy Hoof conditioning cream and it works very well in protecting my nails from immersion in water. You can read about it on Amazon. I like it because it is not toxic, supports healthy nail growth, and a $6 jar will last you a very long time.

Eric Shacklett

Post by Eric Shacklett » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:25 am

Lol on the pic, but I'd rather look less weird than I already do with nails.

For the comment on the cream, do you think it would will work if I alter the shape of my nails with heat? I feel like it's putting my nails back into their original hooked shape, or even a more exaggerated version.

I just corrected them tonight so I don't have a pic, but next time they're hooked I'll try and upload a pic.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm

I think it is common for changes in humidity of the nails to result in a change of shape. My problem is opposite to yours; my nails will hook if the nail dries out too much.
I think the solution might be the same, but there is some chance that your method of shaping is dependent on drying the nails out.

I put moisturizer on my nails so that they keep their optimum shape. You would want to use something that repels water. Most hydrophobic treatments I know of are chemically based and not really something you would want to use on your nails or skin...however, you could try painting your nails with canola oil before going in the pool. You really want to have a barrier layer that is not absorbed by the nail but will repel the water.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 pm

I also seem to have the opposite problem, that my nails hook when they dry out. I am swimming a couple of times a week now.

What exactly is the hot spoon trick? Do you use it under the front of the nail or on top? Does it matter? I try that to straighten mine out. I don't have a curling iron handy. ;-)

I tried vaseline on my nails before swimming when I thought the pool was damaging them. That's an idea.

Casey

Post by Casey » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 pm

Try Nail Magic nail hardener. Fixed my hooking in a week.

Smith

Post by Smith » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 am

I swim often but haven't had nail problems related to swimming. I suggest you check your nutrition, eg flax oil.

wchymeus

Post by wchymeus » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:47 am

lagartija wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 pm
I put moisturizer on my nails so that they keep their optimum shape. You would want to use something that repels water. Most hydrophobic treatments I know of are chemically based and not really something you would want to use on your nails or skin...however, you could try painting your nails with canola oil before going in the pool. You really want to have a barrier layer that is not absorbed by the nail but will repel the water.
+1
... and repel chlorine and all chemicals they throw in the water...
Even after swimming (like after washing the dishes), use some cream/moisturizer on your nails.
Field 2014, Oberg 2013, Vincente Sachis Badia 1977

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”