'System' for nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Nick Clow

'System' for nails

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:35 am

I have a 'system' of cutting my nails (with nail clippers) every Sunday night.

The logic behind this so-called system is that I am most likely to be playing/performing at the end of the week, i.e. on a Friday, Sat or Sunday. By cutting my nails last thing on a Sunday, my nails will be shorter (and not at optimum condition for practising/playing) for a few days (say Mon to Thurs) but, say by the Friday, they have grown back to optimum.

(Nails grow much slower in winter. Don't take too much off.)

Now, one does see guitarists who use a bit of emery cloth to dress their nails. It occurred to me that, instead of doing a once-a-week traumatic cut with clippers, another 'system' would be to use a fine cloth and take a tiny bit off every day or as required. That way, you would avoid the 3 or 4 day growth period when one's nails are shorter than optimum.

Make sense? Who does this?

souldier

Re: 'System' for nails

Post by souldier » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:52 am

I file my nails around twice a week, which keeps my nails in good practicing/performing condition all the time, rather than having to endure a few days that are less than optimum. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take a lot of time so it isn't too much of an inconvenience. I never cut my right hand nails as this creates a harsh edge and it becomes harder to shape, while filing with a good quality nail file allows you to take just the right amount off while shaping and leaving a smooth edge. If I'm not mistaken I remembering hearing that Segovia filed his nails like 3 times a week.

I recently purchased a "ClassyLady" glass nail file from ama zon. Aside from the awkward name, this is hands down the best file I have ever used and I find it a step above the one I purchased from SBM. It is longer, more substantial, and all edges have a fine grit that leaves my nails decently smooth and ready for polishing. Then I use the 4000 and 6000 micromesh papers and nothing else. I stopped using anything above 6000 because for some strange reason the 6000 grit has given me the best tone. It saves me time and money not having to use any of the other micromesh grades. After this I am going to try the "3M 500 Grit Open Coat Sandpaper" from SBM as this is the exact sand paper that Christopher Parkening uses and recommends for polishing after filing. If I can shorten the process to using just one piece of sand paper to polish rather than multiple grades, that will cut the time down even more and will save me money.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:52 am

I only own toenail clippers! I use a file once a week. 1200 grit, 2000 grit, and old 2000 grit to polish. Touch up with 1200 grit (lightly) or 2000 grit as required in between the week. Fretting hand is filed more heavily but don't use clippers there either.
1200 grit works surprisingly well to remove nail quickly when it is fresh.

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 am

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks you for taking the time to respond gents,

I have been doing the same way for a long time, but I'll give filing a go!

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:12 am

I get soft gel treatments on the top half of my RH nails every two to three weeks. I typically file every two or three days but it depends on what I'm practicing. If it's RH focused on I'm concentrating on tone, I'll file everyday and sometimes make some fine adjustments during the course of practice. I use a set of rubber backed salon nail files in grits or 100, 180, 200, 280, 600, 3000. For me these are so much easier and much more precise to use than rigid files or paper.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”