"Hard as Hoofs" nail cream

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Ramon Amira
Teacher

"Hard as Hoofs" nail cream

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:57 pm

Has anyone tried "Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream"? If so, what were the results? Did it work - how well did it work - what are the overall pros and cons, and your general thoughts. Are you still using it?

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

bear

Re: "Hard as Hoofs" nail cream

Post by bear » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm

This is part of the promo for the product;

Hard as Hoof nail strengthening cream uses a moisture rich formulation of vitamins, minerals and emollients to restore the natural moisture balance to dry, thin nails. Soft and fragile nails will quickly grow to new lengths. Strengthens nail and conditions cuticles. Prevents splits, chips, and cracks.

These are the ingredients:

Purified Water, Aloe Vera Concentrate, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Bees Wax, Hydrolyxed Protein, Calcium Pantothenate, Allantoin, Liposomes, Vitamins A, C, D & E, Dl-Panthenol, Natural Fragrance, Methyl Paraben, Probyl Paraben.

As a former farrier, not something I'd use.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

simonm

Post by simonm » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Never even heard of it. Reading the ingredients Bear quoted, it sounds like they could put it in another jar as facial cream and claim is gives nice smooth soft skin.

It will be interesting to hear if anyone here actually has any experience with it.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:29 pm

bear wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm
This is part of the promo for the product;

Hard as Hoof nail strengthening cream uses a moisture rich formulation of vitamins, minerals and emollients to restore the natural moisture balance to dry, thin nails. Soft and fragile nails will quickly grow to new lengths. Strengthens nail and conditions cuticles. Prevents splits, chips, and cracks.

Purified Water, Aloe Vera Concentrate, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Vera Oil, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Bees Wax, Hydrolyxed Protein, Calcium Pantothenate, Allantoin, Liposomes, Vitamins A, C, D & E, Dl-Panthenol, Natural Fragrance, Methyl Paraben, Probyl Paraben.

As a former farrier, not something I'd use.
And yet, this is but one of a number of similar products that have been derived from ointments that were originally used for horses hooves. Apparently it was in fact farriers who originally made the observation that after a period of usage on horses hooves they discovered that their own nails were getting thicker and stronger.

It does stand to reason, since our nails and horses hooves are similar. The reviews for this and analogous products are extremely favorable.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 pm

bear wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 pm

So basically oily stuff to block water evaporation (i.e. "moisturizers"); allantoin+panthenol for similar effect; liposomes (microdroplets of water encased in an oily sphere) to deliver more water to the surface; amino-acids; vitamins because it sounds good; parabens for their anti-bacterial effect. Actually this is not bad, if you look at the scientific paper I excerpted in the other thread. It covers almost all which may make a difference - except biotin and iron (but both of these only matter if there is a deficiency to begin with).
Last edited by guitarrista on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

bear

Post by bear » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm

I've use all type of concoctions to make hooves stronger, increase growth, suppleness, etc.. I noticed that about 10% of the horses showed improvement.
The most effective means was to fill the water trough and allow it to overflow.

No matter what you do, genetics are genetics.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

bear wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm
I've use all type of concoctions to make hooves stronger, increase growth, suppleness, etc.. I noticed that about 10% of the horses showed improvement.
The most effective means was to fill the water trough and allow it to overflow.

No matter what you do, genetics are genetics.
How much improvement did the 10% show?

Also, were any of the concoctions you used similar to this. If not, this might be something that works. As I said, it's getting very, very favorable reviews.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

How much improvement did the 10% show?

Also, were any of the concoctions you used similar to this. If not, this might be something that works. As I said, it's getting very, very favorable reviews.
The improvement, no matter the method, was the damaged,cracked, chipped hooves grew out. The growth was not faster than average and the treatment included nutrition as well as a topical application.The best products contained pine tar.
Nutrition was always responsible for the most significant change but in a healthy horse nutritional supplements made no significant difference.
I took in a lot of "rescue" horses. Most were starved and some abused. Nutrition always allowed the horse to reach nearby or close to it's full genetic potential. You cannot exceed your genetic potential, if you could there would be no bald men or cracked hooves.
Think of those million dollar eventers, jumpers, race horses, etc.. They get the best of everything, but many scratch because of hoof problems.

I have thin nails. I apply something to add thickness. I can't make the nail thicker but I can add layers and build them up until they are 2,3, 4x's as thick.
I do not use any of the concoctions.
I was a farrier and blacksmith with long nails that didn't break. I used a forge, made shoes, tools and wrestled with horses that didn't always like nails driven into their hooves. I lost a finger, but the nails were in good shape.
I wore rubber gloves whenever I applied topicals to a horse. Some of that stuff is nasty.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 pm

So your verdict is "Neigh."

Ramon

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm

This stuff works! I have been using it for several years. Before that my nails would break if I reached for something and grabbed it wrong. With this stuff I rarely (less than once a year) have a nail break, even if I bang my fingernail in a way that would certainly have snapped it off in the past.

I use it a couple of times a day. There are no side effects. It does have a pleasant smell, so that's a plus.

John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30 pm
So your verdict is "Neigh."

Ramon
Good one. Haha.

MNClassical

Post by MNClassical » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:45 am

I do!

I put it on at night on both hands. What I like about it is:

#1 It is cheap!
#2 It simply helps with cuticle health and making the keratin feel more flexible in the nails.

For me, I don't find it does anything "magical" in terms of changing your nails. Rather, I notice it has helped my RH nails be less brittle and in the winter months particularly it aids in keeping them more mosturized so they don't chip or split.

Best,
Christopher

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”