Problem with finger nail

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
jackhuy

Problem with finger nail

Post by jackhuy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:27 am

Hey guys, i'm about to start practise etude 3 from 20 estudios sencillios by Brouwer, but i realise that my fingernail are too "short" so it is hard to perform a tremolo-piece like that. Is there a way to play that etude without fingernail?

Humphrey
Amateur luthier

Re: Problem with finger nail

Post by Humphrey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:52 am

Hi
I have played about 50 years with nails because of Illness my nails went so bad I have to cut them of. I played recuerdos de Alhambra for several years. Now I have to start over again learning to play guitar without nails and I can tell you It's hell of a job but it is possible.

Playing a tremolo without nails is possible but the sound is softer not so loud as with nails, I praktisch every day but it wil take a lot of time to make some progression...

You can watch the videos of Rob macKillop on you tube he plays guitar without nails.

Cheers,

Humphrey

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:00 pm

You could play it at a slower tempo until your nails grow. Spend the time to make the fingers sound alike when they pluck the same string. The care you take while learning this etude at a slower tempo will pay off as your nails grow.
Many people try to play this piece too fast too soon.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

fast eddie

Post by fast eddie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:06 am

Didn't know where to put this post, so I searched 'nail care' and landed here. Anyway, I have had a lot of trouble with my right thumbnail. It seems like it has not grown at all in 3-5 months. My other nails are doing ok. So I have been putting Sally Hansen nail harder from Wal Mart for several months - and nothing. My wife thinks I am too obsessed with my nails . On her advice I stripped off all the goo on my nails on New Year's day (So it should be easy to keep track of any progress). I am curious if anyone else has had this problem.
Fast Eddie
Cordoba C 10 Cedar
1974 Hernandis

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:23 pm

Eddie, I would not put Sally Hansen nail hardener on your entire nail or even use it at all unless you are having trouble with chipping. Even then, I would only use it on the white part of the nail tip clear of the bed.
All of these things have solvents in them that are drying to nails and I think it is best not to use them on any regular basis.

The lunette at the base of the nail should be allowed to breathe. Don’t cover it with nail hardener. Instead, try massaging moisturizer or olive oil onto the nail, especially in the lunette area and cuticle. This helps prevent dryness and stimulates the nail bed where the nail is produced. Eat a healthy diet. The condition of nails and hair give an indication of overall nutritional status. For my nail health, I found that my nails were much stronger and more flexible when I supplemented with vitamin D3.
My nails grow quickly, so that wasn’t a problem.
The only thing I know that will help with growth speed is good nutrition and blood flow (stimulation).
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

davekear

Post by davekear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:51 pm

A great option would be to learn to use artificial nails. Many professional guitarists including Eliot Fisk, Grisha Goryachev, and many more, use artificial nails on a regular basis and have been doing so for years. They don't use natural nails at all. You can have artificial nails that feel and sound like great natural nails, and can use them every day of your life without damage to your natural nails. If you get good at it, you can remove an old nail, put on a new one and be ready to play in less than 5 minutes. Just a matter of learning how to do it properly.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”