Healthy Hoof

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
CGC

Healthy Hoof

Post by CGC » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:59 pm

I've been using Healthy Hoof a few days after seeing it in my local drugstore. This is a nail moisturizer/grower. A little goes a long way. It's relatively inexpensive( apx $3.00) and seems to work well. Definitely worth a try-especially since winter is approaching , which always dries and cracks my nails at some point!
Give this a try. :D

Tomas-Lobos

Post by Tomas-Lobos » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:28 pm

I use 'hoof maker', available on-line from GSI. Really good stuff.

flydav

Post by flydav » Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:49 pm

CGC you are right

I use it too, healthy hoof is good and affordable, also last long time.

twistedblues

Re: Healthy Hoof

Post by twistedblues » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:29 pm

Does this stuff Harden the nail? Or are there other products for hardening nails?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Healthy Hoof: In Germany almost 12 Euro, but it lasts long time. There is also Hard as Hoof, that works fine too.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:07 am

Be careful not all hoof products are created equal and some are harmful.
bear (retired farrier)
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

twistedblues

Post by twistedblues » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:40 am

I was already concerned about this. Anyone know what side effects you could potentially get? And what brands are Good?

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:21 am

twistedblues wrote:I was already concerned about this. Anyone know what side effects you could potentially get? And what brands are Good?
With some products-cancer

I have access to all types of hoof products and experience (I got my first horse in 1949) with many of them. I have thin nails. I do not use hoof products on my nails and I wore gloves when I applied them to horses.
Products with pine tar are best for conditioning and for help with hooves that are pron to cracking.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:58 am

bear wrote:
twistedblues wrote:I was already concerned about this. Anyone know what side effects you could potentially get? And what brands are Good?

I have access to all types of hoof products and experience (I got my first horse in 1949) with many of them. I have thin nails. I do not use hoof products on my nails and I wore gloves when I applied them to horses.
Products with pine tar are best for conditioning and for help with hooves that are pron to cracking.
But if this product is available from a drugstore, is it not actually intended for humans, the Hoof in the title not being in fact equine but an (amusing?) allusion?

Btw much respect for your farrier work, it must be really hard on the spine? For two weeks now I'm the proud owner of a Shire - really big feet!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

bear

Post by bear » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:50 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
bear wrote:

But if this product is available from a drugstore, is it not actually intended for humans, the Hoof in the title not being in fact equine but an (amusing?) allusion?

Btw much respect for your farrier work, it must be really hard on the spine? For two weeks now I'm the proud owner of a Shire - really big feet!
There may be some products that are intended for human's, there are others that were initially intended for horses that have become so popular with humans that they crossed over. The first one that comes to mine is one used for mane and tails. There may be some products that might skirt around some consumer protection regulations by selling "hoof" products and how an individual uses them.....wink, nod, bob's your uncle.
Years ago we used crankcase oil on the hooves and chewing tobacco as a wormer.

More than 20 years as a farrier and my spine looks like Stegosaurus with osteophytes from neck to tailbone and a fractured L5. They tell me that I'm going to feel that when I get old.

Shires, are beautiful horses. In my area, it's difficult (and expensive) to find a farrier willing to work on draft horses.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:56 pm

bear wrote:...
There may be some products that are intended for human's, there are others that were initially intended for horses that have become so popular with humans that they crossed over. The first one that comes to mine is one used for mane and tails. There may be some products that might skirt around some consumer protection regulations by selling "hoof" products and how an individual uses them.....wink, nod, bob's your uncle.
Years ago we used crankcase oil on the hooves and chewing tobacco as a wormer.

More than 20 years as a farrier and my spine looks like Stegosaurus with osteophytes from neck to tailbone and a fractured L5. They tell me that I'm going to feel that when I get old.

Shires, are beautiful horses. In my area, it's difficult (and expensive) to find a farrier willing to work on draft horses.
Well if folks are daft enough to take that risk with products ...

We were fortunate that the farrier who'd dealt with Tom from the start was willing to make the longer trip, plus to shoe a Shire mare who to our knowledge has never had shoes on - she was fine. He's a tiny fellow, ex jockey.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

raven

Post by raven » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:42 pm

I bought a 2-pack of "Hard as Hoof Nail Strengthening cream" on Amazon in 2014 for $5.99 and it worked well. A little lasts a long time and you just rub it into the nail really well to use. I had no side effects in the time I've used it since then. It took a few months to really see a good improvement.
I'm currently trying "Flexinail" for comparison but I'm only 6 weeks into it. It is helping already though. But it is not as easy to use as the hard as hoof stuff because it leaves an oil residue on the nail which you have to be careful not to get on stuff or else wipe it off after a bit of time. Plus it's much more expensive.
I was thinking of trying them both in combination next, like maybe the Flexinail in the daytime and Hard as Hoof at bedtime.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:46 pm

raven wrote:I bought a 2-pack of "Hard as Hoof Nail Strengthening cream" on Amazon in 2014 for $5.99 and it worked well. A little lasts a long time and you just rub it into the nail really well to use. I had no side effects in the time I've used it since then. It took a few months to really see a good improvement.
I'm currently trying "Flexinail" for comparison but I'm only 6 weeks into it. It is helping already though. But it is not as easy to use as the hard as hoof stuff because it leaves an oil residue on the nail which you have to be careful not to get on stuff or else wipe it off after a bit of time. Plus it's much more expensive.
I was thinking of trying them both in combination next, like maybe the Flexinail in the daytime and Hard as Hoof at bedtime.
Good luck with that, haven't tried the flexinail (Ethoxydiglycol is a carcinogen).

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”