Nail biting problem...

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
hicitronella

Nail biting problem...

Post by hicitronella » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:18 am

Alright folks, just a little problem you guys might be of some assistance. I have a bad habit of biting my nails. I really would like to stop because im getting serious about guitar, and would like to produce a brighter, clearer tone while playing. Has anyone else had a nail biting problem they have overcome? Any replys will help greatly.

Marie-Claire

Post by Marie-Claire » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:57 am

Hello hicitronella,

No need to stop, just bite your left hand nails (kidding.... :wink: ). Nail biting is sometimes very hard to stop, but everytime you're doing it, think of that guitar of yours, and the fact that you will have to wait a little longer before hearing her clear voice. It's a very good motivation to stop biting.

Marie-Claire

Colm

Post by Colm » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:08 pm

I used to bite my nails when I was a kid...
I started smoking instead - not an approach I'd recommend though!

In the UK you can buy stuff called "Stop 'n Grow". It contains bitter aloes, a tast that's really very bitter - idea is that you paint it on, and get reminded that you're not meant to be biting when you taste the bitterness. It helps reinforce that it's not a good thing to be doing.

hicitronella

Post by hicitronella » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:48 pm

Ahhh... thank you for the reply's. I'll look into that stop n' grow stuff. The thing about thinking about the guitar everytime is that nail biting is just a habit that i dont even think about when im doing it. Im off in whole other world when im doing it. But im looking into a couple of different products. I was hoping there might be some guitarists that had the same problem.

ovid

Post by ovid » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:33 pm

I used to bite my nails until they bled when I was younger - actually learning the guitar was an incentive to stop in itself :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:56 am

yeah.. when my teacher asked me to grow my nails... (well demanded that igrow them, becausei couldnt giv him a logical reason why... i could, btu it was just soething i didnt wnat to tell him)

I just stopped cold turkey

nichkwichim

oups!

Post by nichkwichim » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:46 am

stop and grow stuff is good...
if you don't get use it!
and well... what I do is... just the left hand is allowed!
it is a really commun "problem"... unfortunatly!
...a lot of my male students have some difficulties with that... I dont know why!

philkurian

Post by philkurian » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:17 am

I've never had a problem with it, but I've heard of a few good methods.

Apparantly the medical method of breaking people from the habit is to put a foul tasting substance on the fingertips so that when one bites on them they get a disgusting taste in their mouth, and thus slowly break themselves from the habit. Your doctor can advise what to use.

kwinto

Post by kwinto » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:39 pm

I too am trying to stop biting my nails, i love the other dimension it adds to your playing when you have nails. The stop n grow stuff is on my nails now, and believe me it tastes foul!!! It really does help you to stop, though left hand nail biting is allowed!

tesicb

Post by tesicb » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:51 pm

Just to confirm the "bitter" method, it really works and it is pain-free (unless you use something poisenous) :lol:

Løød

Nail biting

Post by Løød » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Well, I had a problem just like yours...
Then I realised hoq important my nails are, and I quit biting my right hand...
I still bite my left hand nail once in a while... They are best real short. :)

Løød

Nail biting

Post by Løød » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:41 pm

Well, I had a problem just like yours...
Then I realised hoq important my nails are, and I quit biting my right hand...
I still bite my left hand nail once in a while... They are best real short. :)

cardamomo

Post by cardamomo » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:18 pm

:grire:

Cardamomo

Lennon

Post by Lennon » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:17 pm

I had the same problem when I started playing. I played without nails for a year.
What I did was I went to a nail salon and got acrillic nails just on my right hand. I did feel weird going in but the lady who did my nails said that a lot of guitarists come in. And it only took like 10 minutes.
The nails fall off after a month or two and underneath you have fresh grown nails. I found that since they were already long, I had no integrity to bite them off. My left hand I still bite. :D

Clakoff

cure for nail biting

Post by Clakoff » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:50 am

i used to bite my nails literally to shreds--until I started to spend time on my guitar. You can't play guitar and bite your nails at the same time, so just play more!

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”