Nail biting problem...

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
APribilski

Post by APribilski » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:22 am

The Stop 'n Grow stuff apparently is great. As long as you don't chew thru the flavour, or get used to it :lol:

guitarmonk

Interesting topic

Post by guitarmonk » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:30 pm

Well i never had this habit. But i have a suggestion, put chewing gum in urs mouth always. That way u can only do one thing. :lol:

bassinjasson

Post by bassinjasson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:54 pm

I just switched to biting my left hand only. Seems like a quick fix but it may come to haunt me down the road.

Christopher Burnham

Post by Christopher Burnham » Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:49 am

start pampering your picking hands nails. buy nail files, and polish. get a file that buffs and shines your nails. as you pamper them you will become more aware of when your bitting and can stop yourself before your teeth bite in. also, the nail polish tastes really bad, so you wont want that taste in your mouth. I chewed my nails 25 years before stopping. I havent quit biting my fret hand nails, i see no need to stop.

Classicalguitarman15

Post by Classicalguitarman15 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:11 pm

Just think of how your playing will be altered. If you dont want tone and playability just bite 'em right off.

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:09 am

Hi in regards to the topic, i would like to add that I do bite my nails, the ones on my left hand of course. It was hard to stop doing that to my tight hand, but I picked up quite a disgusting habit...
I happen to have a nice elongation in my lower extremities... so i sometimes bit my feet's nails, not that I do it too often nowm but it helped...(shy)

Atrax

Post by Atrax » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:08 am

hicitronella wrote:Ahhh... thank you for the reply's. I'll look into that stop n' grow stuff. The thing about thinking about the guitar everytime is that nail biting is just a habit that i dont even think about when im doing it. Im off in whole other world when im doing it. But im looking into a couple of different products. I was hoping there might be some guitarists that had the same problem.
Grow your nails to the desired length and shape and file them to perfection. When that happens, your mind will begin to think of them as fragile and important. You will begin to gain consciousness of where your hands are at all times, what you are touching, and you will take care not to break the tips off. You're not biting your fingernails -- you're biting delicate musical instruments.

TheClassicalGuitarist

Post by TheClassicalGuitarist » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:48 pm

Wear gloves that helped me ...heck What I used to do was I would sleep with my gloves on to make them soft and so i wouldnt bite my nails ...try that it should help you I kno it helped me

CSmith

Re: Nail biting problem...

Post by CSmith » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:08 am

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's been dead for 2 years, but...

I'm having real problems stopping biting my nails too. I've tried hot sauce but all that's done is increase how much I enjoy spicy food. :roll: Does anyone know if Stop 'n Grow is still available anywhere in the states? The only website I can seem to find is a UK retailer, and as much as I'd like to try the stuff I'm not sure that it's worth that much.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

There are self-help methods for treating nail biting, based on cognitive behavioural therapy principles that probably work better than the 'Stop 'n Grow' type of approach if you've got enough determination. The steps involved are:

1) Decide to change
2) Train yourself to become aware of the habit and when it occurs
3) Devise strategies for helping yourself stop
4) Replace the habit with alternative behaviours
5) Try and remain consistent and keep track of progress
6) Learn to manage lapses.

There is a good description of how to put this into practice in the book "Manage your Mind" by Gillian Butler and Tony Hope, OUP (Oxford and New York) 1995 (ISBN 0-19-262383-4] - and doubtless there are also other similar sources.

The benefits would be worth while - it's great to have good nails as a guitarist!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

renaissanceman

Post by renaissanceman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:51 am

A friend of mine had a nail biting problem. (I'm serious, no I'm not talking about myself)
He found that by putting on a thick coat of clear gloss on his nails to help.
It's kept the nail strong, and also he said it has a bitter taste.

Maybe a little aversion therapy will do the trick!

Take care,
Danny

hirade

Post by hirade » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:21 am

I have a nail biting problem but a few weeks ago I tried Stop n Grow and it works really well.
I've found I have to be quite diligent about putting it on each day though.

And if any Australians are interested, it is available in Australia (or Melbourne at least)

jrannik

Post by jrannik » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:22 pm

I started biting only the nails on my left hand when i was about 12. Everytime i started to bite the nail on my right hand, I would check myself and stop. Once my nails got to playing length and got stronger and better kept, the urge to bite them disappeared.

The left hand was another story. about a year ago, i just decided to not bite them anymore and stopped. don't know why it worked, but it did.

Good luck!

guitarforthejuan

Post by guitarforthejuan » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I had this problem once. I'd have to say pampering them worked for me too.

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:27 am

hicitronella wrote:Alright folks, just a little problem you guys might be of some assistance. I have a bad habit of biting my nails. I really would like to stop because im getting serious about guitar, and would like to produce a brighter, clearer tone while playing. Has anyone else had a nail biting problem they have overcome? Any replys will help greatly.
I was a HARDCORE nail biter. I'm talking about major delamination; bleeding, the works. Any real nail biter out there knows what I'm talking about.

When it came to Classical Guitar, there was only one answer: STOP BITING YOUR NAILS. STOP doing it. It's that simple. It's a question of basic priorities. If it's actually not that simple for you, then get help from a professional.

Anyway, if you can't stop biting all of them, then just eat away at your left hand.

That's my experience anyway.

-JK

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”