Nail biting problem...

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
XavierJAX

Re: Nail biting problem...

Post by XavierJAX » Mon May 12, 2008 4:20 am

I"ve had this happen to me when I began playing. I just put some lemon juice on the finger tips of my right hand. So that every time I tried to bite my nails my mind would alert me to stop. Once my nails got long enough I felt it before biting. Now I just bite on my left hand.

:bye:

Masa

Post by Masa » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 pm

I hate myself, I bit my nails unconsciously yesterday while fighting with a software bug (I am a software engineer). I believed that my bad habit – nail biting – had stopped after starting CG, however, it’s just hiding, and came up unconsciously. The habit is tougher than a software bug to kill.

Thank you fellow members, your posts in this topic gave me a lot of information and encouraged me to quit the bad habit. I will try your ideas.

P.S. I stopped by a nearby drugstore and bought a nail polish called "Anti-Bite & Nail Growth" ($2.50). It tastes so bad!!

skmcclure

Post by skmcclure » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Masa wrote:I hate myself, I bit my nails unconsciously yesterday while fighting with a software bug (I am a software engineer). I believed that my bad habit – nail biting – had stopped after starting CG, however, it’s just hiding, and came up unconsciously. The habit is tougher than a software bug to kill.

Thank you fellow members, your posts in this topic gave me a lot of information and encouraged me to quit the bad habit. I will try your ideas.

P.S. I stopped by a nearby drugstore and bought a nail polish called "Anti-Bite & Nail Growth" ($2.50). It tastes so bad!!
Same here, when I'm debugging software, nails beware. When I started playing CG I stopped for a while but it popped back up. However I had established my right hand nails then and so usually when I feel the nail I stop biting. So I have right hand nails, but not left hand. I know I could stop altogether if I REALLY REALLY wanted to.

skully

Post by skully » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 pm

I had always bit my nails till they bled. When I was a child my parents tried putting mittens on my hands at bed time, I still bit them during the daytime. they then tried stop and grow on my nails, but i liked the taste and would lick it of. But it was most unpleasent if I rubbed my eyes.
When I got to about 50 years old I decided to try my damdest to stop, I carried a nail file with me at all times and when I caught myself bitting I would give my nails a file to remove all roughness from them. It worked for me.

RevGeo

Post by RevGeo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:08 pm

I bit my nails until I was 50 years old. That year I got dentures. Problem solved!

RevGeo

neverstoplearning57

Post by neverstoplearning57 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Learning to play Classical Guitar is a really positive motiviation for giving up nail biting.
After 56 years of the habit - I managed to stop - the first 3 weeks are the hardest - when you need to use some kind of anti nail biting treatment - and a lot of willpower! After about 3 weeks things get easier - though don''t beat yourself up if you fall back into the habit during this time - just keep trying and focussing and it does become easier. I read somewhere it takes 3 weeks to stop the habit with a lot of effort, and after 6 months the new "habit" of not biting nails will have become part of your personality.

Rob

ricarva

Post by ricarva » Mon May 16, 2011 2:20 pm

I used to bite my nails and my finger skin compulsively. But that was only until I got to the age of 18, when I started playing guitar. I guess playing guitar was the cure.

jcandidel

Post by jcandidel » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:48 am

quite old post but i use it anyway:

i did it for approx 4 decades. starting with the guitar enforced me stopping it. without any surrogate. i am off now for almost a year and not even think about it although i was quite obsessive before.

the main issue i still have is the extremely short (crippled if you like) nail bed that resulted from this nasty habit. as a result, i need to grow my nails to a ridiculous length before the reach fingertip + 1mm (what many people recommend as a good reference for adequate nails to start with). that give you a strange appeal but much worse: distance between nail amd finger is large and in that gap you catch the string in particular when playing apoyando.

any idea on how to overcome this?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”