Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
John O

Re: Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Post by John O » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:38 am

Doesn't the super glue damage the nail?

wedge

Post by wedge » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:42 am

I'm using nail glue - maybe I shouldn't call it superglue.

What a bummer - now I can definitely tell the difference between nails and no nails - zoix.

John O

Post by John O » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:06 am

I think nail glue and super glue are the same thing!

rob87

Post by rob87 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I'll have to try the silk wraps, they sound like a much better sounding solution to the DIY press-on/acrylic-sort-of kit that I'm using right now :? In terms of breakage theres no real issue, but they just don't sound very good (to my ears anyway, of course it might just be my playing :roll: ) Sounds like these silk wraps might help remedy that problem

Martin

Post by Martin » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:25 pm

Death Fugue wrote:I think nail glue and super glue are the same thing!
I think "proper" nail glue is made with the longer polymer chain n-butyl or isopropyl cyanoacrylates - the same stuff thats used for surgical suturing in field hospitals. Superglue or Crazy Glue is made with the more volatile methyl- or ethyl- CA. I find that superglue makes my nails flaky and brittle, to the point where it becomes self-defeating to use it, although that may just be a genetic thing. I've given up using it. Now, I think broken nails are natures way of telling me to practice my slur technique.... :D

Martin
If all else fails, try reading the instructions...

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:34 pm

Martin wrote:[Now, I think broken nails are natures way of telling me to practice my slur technique.... :D

Martin
Slurring is also natures way of telling you that perhaps you have drunk too much :!: :?: :ivresse:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:36 pm

MarkJ wrote: Silk Wrap: Overall, I highly recommend silk wraps. They look completely natural, are thin but incredibly strong, sound good, and won't destroy your nail bed.
After using acrylic nails for about 4 years, I'm ready to try the silk wraps. I couldn't find them at Walgreens in my area and there not a Sally's near by so I've gone to the internet to search for them. Your description in how to apply them is clear, however, I'm not sure about one thing. Do you extend the wraps beyond the finger tip and then shape them?

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

BernieD

Post by BernieD » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:40 pm

Simplicio wrote:
MarkJ wrote: Silk Wrap: Overall, I highly recommend silk wraps. They look completely natural, are thin but incredibly strong, sound good, and won't destroy your nail bed.
After using acrylic nails for about 4 years, I'm ready to try the silk wraps. I couldn't find them at Walgreens in my area and there not a Sally's near by so I've gone to the internet to search for them. Your description in how to apply them is clear, however, I'm not sure about one thing. Do you extend the wraps beyond the finger tip and then shape them?
Hi, I thought I'd chime in here as I started using silk wrap about a month ago. Firstly using silk wrap has certainly improved my tone production and as a side benefit I can open soda cans without fear. :lol: As to the extension of the wrap beyond the tip of the nail I leave about a 1/4 inch or so and then veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy carefully trim off all excess with fresh single edged razor blade. Haven't had a problem so far.

Regards Bernie

iorix

Post by iorix » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:58 pm

i just received the alaska pick/plastic nail thingy and it works nice.

it goes under the nail so you feel the string and the sound is good,

now i can play and let the nail grow out on my thumb

wedge

Post by wedge » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:11 am

I tried the Alaska nails, but the flesh/nail interface wasn't right.

Jeff

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 pm

MarkJ wrote:There have been several posts on various nail treatments in this forum, and I have tried them all at one time or another. So I am throwing in my observations and experiences with these. I build guitars, so my nails are constantly getting abused by contact with planes, chisels, clamps, etc. Without reinforcement, I would be frequently breaking nails, and I like to play guitars as much as I like to build them. Hope this useful for those that are considering some form of nail reinforcement.

After using UV gel for 2 years, I tried silk wraps. I do it myself. This is nothing more than thin, tight-weave fabric that you cut to shape and peel off a paper backing. Once applied to the nail, you apply a drop or two of CA glue (super glue) that soaks through the material and secures it to the nail. I use at least two layers, covering the top 1/2 of the nail. Let the glue set between layers. A light sanding and then a couple coats of clear polish and you are in business. (Miracle Nail Hardener from Sally's is the best that I have found as it does not chip off). I have never had a wrap lift off in over two years. When the wrap grows out to near the end of the nail, you can remove the wrap by rubbing with a paper towel dampened with acetone, The nail bed will be as good as when you applied it - no damage. Shape and polish the ends with a board and 2000+ grit sandpaper.

Overall, I highly recommend silk wraps. They look completely natural, are thin but incredibly strong, sound good, and won't destroy your nail bed.
MarkJ's post finally led me to try silk wraps. Silk wraps are amazing, and I'll never again use anything else to prevent breakage. On my first attempt I did have a problem with lifting off. So anyone with a lifting off problem may want to consider the following application protocol.
  1. Wash your hands thoroughly.
  2. Dip a QTip in acetone and scrub the nail thoroughly until you feel or hear it squeak.
  3. Use the smallest amount of super glue possible to saturate the wrap. Brush on super glue is the best.
    1. Wipe of any excess superglue at the bottles mouth.
    2. Make one quick swipe at the far left edge of the wrap and wait until it quits spreading.
    3. The next swipe should be far enough away to not spread into the first area.
  4. It’s not necessary to apply a top coat.

Superglue is hard and brittle, so the more you use the more it's likely to come off. I did an experiment and used a Sally Hansen product over the thumb and a finger wrap, but not on the other two fingers. The wraps with the top coat eventually partially lifted but not the others. Besides a top coat just makes the wrap slightly to moderately more visible.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I'm having trouble finding silk wraps. Where do you buy them? Are brush on silk wraps something different?

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

MarkJ

Post by MarkJ » Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 pm

There are lots of internet suppliers, here is one I picked at random. The brush-on stuff is not the same.
mountainbeautysupply.com

Also, I overhang the silk about 1/8 inch past the nail and trip with small scissors. Trimming with a razorblade seems scary. You can also trim them by using a coarse nail file at right angle to the nail, using a downward stroke.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Fri May 16, 2008 1:26 am

MarkJ wrote:There are lots of internet suppliers, here is one I picked at random. The brush-on stuff is not the same.
mountainbeautysupply.com

Also, I overhang the silk about 1/8 inch past the nail and trip with small scissors. Trimming with a razorblade seems scary. You can also trim them by using a coarse nail file at right angle to the nail, using a downward stroke.
Hi Mark

Thank you so much. For some reason I just couldn't find anything.

Vito

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Allan

Post by Allan » Sun May 18, 2008 5:24 am

I think it's important that someone add a caveat to all the above suggestions on using fake fingernails. Here's one of the better explanations I've found for some of the risks incurred in using these products: http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/23308.html

Allan

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”