Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
AsturiasFan

Re: Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Post by AsturiasFan » Sun May 18, 2008 10:44 pm

Allan wrote:I think it's important that someone add a caveat to all the above suggestions on using fake fingernails. Here's one of the better explanations I've found for some of the risks incurred in using these products: http://www.healthcentral.com/drdean/408/23308.htmlAllan
Yes! Fake nails are famous for being connected to health concerns including fungus infections, contact dermatitis, thinner nails, and hygiene. So this is a good reason for using silk wraps instead. A silk wrap is far removed from being a fake nail. A silk wrap is very close to being a coating of a Sally Hansen nail product. Fiberglass wraps may pose a hazard since fiberglass dust may eventually be inhaled.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon May 19, 2008 12:50 am

I ordered silk wraps the other day on the internet. Looking forward to trying them after 4 years of acrylics.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Allan

Post by Allan » Mon May 19, 2008 3:02 am

AsturiasFan wrote:
A silk wrap is far removed from being a fake nail.
I just wanted to say that I didn't mean for my post to be taken as an endorsement for silk wraps. The link I enclosed points out a number of medical issues to be aware of for anyone who uses acrylic or silk wraps. The point is, anything attached to the natural nail bed with any kind of adhesive/glue substance (and then possibly overlaid with a coat of hardener) will prevent the nail from breathing as it was meant to do. This can invite a number of problems.

Allan

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon May 19, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi Allan,

Your point is well taken. The health risks with covering the natural nail has been discussed often in other threads here but mostly dealing with acrylic nails. I appreciate you sharing your concerns with us and that it came from a concern for others.

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

AsturiasFan

Post by AsturiasFan » Mon May 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Allan wrote: The point is, anything attached to the natural nail bed with any kind of adhesive/glue substance (and then possibly overlaid with a coat of hardener) will prevent the nail from breathing as it was meant to do. This can invite a number of problems. Allan
The following two links support what Allan says. They explicitly mention wraps and polish.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/901226269.html
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life ... 044518.ece

Hopefully I avoid some problems by just putting wraps on the top half or third of the nail.

wedge

Post by wedge » Sun May 25, 2008 10:58 pm

Update:
Used guitar player nails (love 'em) until my real nails grew out. Then, I removed the GP nails and placed silk wraps on my nail tips, just shy of the nail edge. It's been beautiful ever since. That's my new technique. Thanks for the silk wrap and GPN tips (no pun intended).

Wedge

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Mon May 26, 2008 11:56 am

Simplicio wrote:I ordered silk wraps the other day on the internet. Looking forward to trying them after 4 years of acrylics.
Still waiting ......... :|

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

webnash

Post by webnash » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:17 pm

This post was VERY useful for me. I had been playing with acrylic nails, not knowing that there were so many good options. I found acrylic to be difficult to maintain (too many trips to nail salon) and too thick for a really good shape.

I ordered and applied guitarplayernails at the beginning of the week and love them!!! They sound good, look good, shape easy and have held up very well on a construction site for the week.

El Topo

Post by El Topo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Mark J: Hi I live in Mendocino, Ca. and cannot find self adhesive silk anywhere around here. I did find some on the internet at a $25 minimum order! No Sallys Beauty Supply here and most of their products on the website are listed as for sale in store only. Alas I would really like to try the french wrap approach. Can i just buy some silk at the fabric store. Any suggestions as to how one would apply that? This is a beautiful place to live and build guitars, but precious few players here and NO shopping without driving for hours. Thanks, Robert :)

MarkJ

Post by MarkJ » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:08 pm

El Topo wrote:Mark J: Hi I live in Mendocino, Ca. and cannot find self adhesive silk anywhere around here. I did find some on the internet at a $25 minimum order! No Sallys Beauty Supply here and most of their products on the website are listed as for sale in store only. Alas I would really like to try the french wrap approach. Can i just buy some silk at the fabric store. Any suggestions as to how one would apply that? This is a beautiful place to live and build guitars, but precious few players here and NO shopping without driving for hours. Thanks, Robert :)
You will find many internet suppliers if you Google "silk nail wrap". A box of wraps shouldn't cost more than $4 plus shipping. I would not use silk from the fabric store - it is way too thick and has no adhesive backing to make positioning easy.

El Topo

Post by El Topo » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Thanks Mark: I will try your search tip. :)

Dave Kear

Post by Dave Kear » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:06 am

Actually, fiberglass wrap works a bit better than silk wrap because it has a more strength when used with cyanoacrylate glue. It also allows for more highs and diversity of tone. It's subtle, but it's there. There's 3 different types of wraps you can get for use with nails. There's silk, linen, and fiberglass. You can get the self adhering fiberglass wrap at http://www.guitarplayernails.com/. They also have a really good artificial nail made for guitarists. ( I'm a bit prejudice, as I invented them) If you'd like to hear the inventor of Instant Nails play a tune with them on all his fingers and thumb, go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2WOeLsQhf8&feature=user
Hope you enjoy it.
Dave

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey Mark,

I finally applied the silk wraps and I think they are going to work out well especially once my nails grow out a bit since they are pretty short right now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Vito

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

rturek88

Post by rturek88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:03 am

My 2 cents on this old thread:

My 'm' fingernail splits as soon as it's beyond the nail-bed. This is due, I believe, to a deep cut I suffered years back on the distal phalanx, between the knuckle and cuticle. So I need something artificial on 'm', for sure.

I've had good results from visiting salons, once with built up acrylics (back in my chicken-picken tele-playing days); probably not a good sound for classical; and more recently with silk-wraps for classical playing.

I've had quite good results doing the following simple silk wrap technique at home, modified from the salon processes.

1. Scratch up the nail with a sanding board - no need to file too hard; you don't want to lose thickness.
2. Clean nail with isopropyl alcohol - acetone works well too but is stronger than needed and leaves the nail white, "dusty"?
3. Put a coat of thick superglue on nail - seems to me hardware store thick/gel super glue and made-for-nails cyano-acrylate brush-on glue are equivalent.
4. Dry. - The salon used a little fan, I wave my finger around til dry.
5. Put on silk wrap (about 2/3s of nail) - The salon covers the full nail, but leaving some nail uncovered seems healthier, if not so fancy
6. Wet silk with thin super glue, tapping down with tip of tube for coverage and contact. Don't use too much glue.
7. Dry
8. Repeat 5,6,7 one or two times, for 2 or 3 silk layers.

I can count on the wrap staying in place at least 2-3 weeks. I've never had a fungus or thinned the nail so bad that I can't easily replace the worn or loose silk wrap. (My wife told me not to leave a separated wrap in place for long, as that will invite fungus.)

While the wrap works well, I have found that the silk does sort of fray on the nail tip after multiple filings. Also if the nail takes a hit, it can crack - it'll continue work OK for a while, but the wrap will be prematurely doomed. Adding a bit of thin superglue to the edge and to any cracks seems to mitigate these problems.

It's tough to get a strong, clean edge on this split nail with the wrap. If the real nail contacts the string, it's got that gap, so it's not got a smooth edge. If the silk overlaps the real nail and contacts the string, then the fraying is worse.

Anyway, I've got IBD Gel Builder and a UV lamp on its way from Amazon. Seems some of you went the other way, from gel/UV to silk wraps. We'll see. (Wow, talk about First World problems :-) )

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:19 am

You will have all heard me say this before, but for me, UV soft gels have been nothing short of miraculous.
  • Great tone.
    Very flexible but extremely tough
    Never break or crack
    Easy to file, polish and shape.
    Easy to apply (sit in an armchair, drink coffee, read my email while the nailist does the work)
    Only downside is that it costs me $30 every 3 weeks.
Before I worried about my nails constantly. Now I never even think about them.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”