Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
rturek88

Re: Observations on Acrylic, UV gel and Silk wraps

Post by rturek88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:34 am

@dtoh, OK, now I'm real anxious to try my gel, lamp and paper forms that arrived today. $54 total from Amazon. Seems enough to last for years.

I don't know if I can do the job to match the pros at the salon, but I figured it's worth the $$ to find out.

I'll post my experience here.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:29 am

rturek88 wrote:@dtoh, OK, now I'm real anxious to try my gel, lamp and paper forms that arrived today. $54 total from Amazon. Seems enough to last for years.

I don't know if I can do the job to match the pros at the salon, but I figured it's worth the $$ to find out.

Let us know how it goes. I would consider this if the $54 worth of products and equipment is sufficient. The $520 per year on nails that dtoh is describing is too much $ for my liking. Which brand gel and lamp are you using?
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:11 am

rturek88 wrote:@dtoh, OK, now I'm real anxious to try my gel, lamp and paper forms that arrived today. $54 total from Amazon. Seems enough to last for years.

You might want to try it once at the salon just to see how it's done.

DanRock101

Post by DanRock101 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:21 am

Hello all!
My experience and history...... I've been playing music 30 years, classical guitar 23 years, and have been using acrylic nails for 13 years, since 2004. I actually met my wife a the nail shop she owned :bravo:

Nails have been a love/hate relationship and the acrylic nails were wonderful in the years I stopped playing classical (from 2001 to 2014, I got out of school in 1999). My career-professional-money-making-playing lead me to play differently and a tad less disciplined than my classical years (<<< in a good and wonderful way), but in the recent years, classical guitar playing has become more lucrative so I've gotten back into it.

When I stopped playing classical in 2004, I sold my 1986 David Daly (<<< I could still kick myself) and started playing stage guitars (my Cordoba FCWE, and eventually RCWE's) through AER amps. The acrylics were great and provided great stability in my career that I DIDN'T have in my classical-regular-nail years. When I went back to play classical on my Cordobas, I missed the resonance needed from a fill-size classicals. I bought one, and now I've been having to experiment with (correct/better/more regular) nails shapes. Acrylic nails solved my durability problems in my post-classical playing years and gave me great confidence in my playing which I DIDN'T have before.

Coming back to classical playing, I'm able to play pieces that always gave me problems. BUT, I've run into problems. With acrylics, you "play through" the strings much differently and the amount of time I need to practice has lead to my nails, particularly UNDERNEATH my nails having to develop durability to the intense playing.

One thing my wife has educated me over the years is not JUST the nails, but the Hyponychium <<< the skin under the nail that on some people (me included) is very sensitive and how, folks like me, need to manage that Hyponychium-Skin. In my case I need to constantly carve & push down my Hyponychium so that it doesn't interfere with how I play.

PLEASE NOTE, that carving & pushing down your Hyponychium must done AFTER you shower when you skin in naturally flexible and, of course, use lotion to help the process. Nails (and posture/sitting-correctly-to-your-body-type, etc) in classical guitar playing has been a subject that has caused many to give up and to just accept the "just becauses" of life BS. Everyone is different. If you love your playing and art and have the desire, you'll find your way and obviously we all love it enough to be here! :-)

BTW, I've tried the "no-nail" route.... CAN'T DO IT! Nails is it.....

My wife and I are going to experiment with gel nails & silk wraps while we're on vacation. We'll report back with the comfort/playability & durability aspect. It's a pleasure to be posting with you all!
AER Compact 60, Mackie Freeplay
MacBookPro 9.1, MacPro1.1 & 3.1, Logic 9 & X, ProTools9, Finale 2014 & Encore 3.1
Metric Halo ULN8

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 am

Hello Dan. Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the interesting post. I am sure you can post an equally interesting introduction here. By doing so you will receive some useful information about the forum. For instance, our rules do not permit urls in signature strips (so please remove the two in yours). See you around
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”