Vitamins... for those with thin, weak nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
amschaase

Re: Vitamins... for those with thin, weak nails

Post by amschaase » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:22 pm

hi,

check my comments in the other subjects for nails and acryl nails.

I had very good experience with siliceuos earth + magnesium. (after around 3 month, and I had really bad nails)

cheers

Hybrid

Post by Hybrid » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:05 pm

I use Barielle Nail rebuilding protein once a week.

I also coat my nails in vitamin E, which i squeeze from a gel capsule, every other night, before i go
to sleep.

H

Aaron Elkins

Post by Aaron Elkins » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:02 pm

Okay, here's my contribution:
I have miserable nails too--always splitting or chipping. I've now been applying Hoofmaker for four months--I do it very faithfully, at least twice a day--and I think I'm seeing some improvement, but it's not exactly stupendous. My last nail breakage was about two weeks ago, which is just about how long I usually go between nail problems.

But here's an aspect that I don't think has been raised--a couple of months ago I started "ramping" my fingernails in what is now becoming a popular fashion. That is, instead of shaping the nail to conform more or less to the finger tip, I shape them so that they are very short on the left side ("left" if you have your hand in front of you, backside up) and rise more or less in a straight line to be longest at the right border.

For one thing, I do think this gives me a better, smoother sound (there are threads on this forum on ramping), but most important: now, when I break a nail, it always seems to break, naturally enough, at the place where the nail sticks out the most and is most likely to get in the way of foreign objects. And that, thank goodness, is now on the extreme right, which is the least important part of the nail for playing. So the last several nail breakages I've had really haven't gotten in the way of my guitar-playing. This is a wonderful, unanticipated consequence of ramping, and I urge all you others who also have wimpy nails to think about giving it a try.

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:14 pm

My snake oil recommendation is cashews... My nails used to be thin and weak, but ever since we started getting cashews at my office, I've eaten them just about every day and my nails have been really strong ever since.

clearsong

Post by clearsong » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:48 pm

I would like to know why there is an immutable law of nature that says -

"If thou be a Classical Guitar Player, thy fingernail shall breaketh at the most inopportune time."

Like...the day before a concert or recital.

:D

Clearsong

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:01 pm

I have some medical professionals in the family (Physical Therapist, Army Nurse, and an MD). Suprisingly, they are all in agreement on strong nails. Drumming your fingers so that the nails tap on a rigid surface stimulates the nail bed, increasing blood flow and the supply of nutrients to the nails. Caution!:This will drive your spouse crazy!!! I have found just a light tapping produces a tingling sensation in the nail bed, and my nails are stronger and thicker since I started down the path to divorce. :desole:

Aaron Elkins

Post by Aaron Elkins » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Lincoln wrote:I have some medical professionals in the family (Physical Therapist, Army Nurse, and an MD). Suprisingly, they are all in agreement on strong nails. Drumming your fingers so that the nails tap on a rigid surface stimulates the nail bed, increasing blood flow and the supply of nutrients to the nails. Caution!:This will drive your spouse crazy!!! I have found just a light tapping produces a tingling sensation in the nail bed, and my nails are stronger and thicker since I started down the path to divorce. :desole:
Hey, that's funny! It actually made me laugh out loud. (LOL, as they say nowadays.) A nice way to start the day. :merci:

But....I think your medical professionals are just a little off-base. Stimulating the nail bed may be a good thing--why would it not be? And maybe it even does help the new nails to form. But as for "increasing blood flow and the supply of nutrients to the nails"--I'm afraid that won't fly. Nails are dead. Dead things do not absorb nutrients or have a blood supply. (Thank God--how would we like it if they bled when we filed them?) They're made of keratin, same as hair. They can be moisturized, but they can't be "nourished," despite the claims of cosmetics suppliers. The material in your nails at this moment is as good as it's going to get. What's done is done.
But of course, they grow--new material comes in at the bottom--and therein lies our hope for improvement...and the hopes of vitamin and nutrient manufacturers for profits.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:01 am

acelkins wrote:Nails are dead.
Yes, thats true! But, are the greatful? :sigaretta:

Aaron Elkins

Post by Aaron Elkins » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Lincoln wrote:
acelkins wrote:Nails are dead.
Yes, thats true! But, are the greatful? :sigaretta:
Whoa, this is getting DEEP. Metaphysics are not my thing.

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:05 am

Back on topic, sort of...

I received a tube of "H2O" nail cream from my dear mother. It works very well in keeping the fingertips from drying and cracking. I suppose the nail itself is porous enough to benefit from a little moisturizer, too. I haven't used it very long, but noticed an immediate improvement in keeping the caluses from being too dry. (If it would only do the same for my sense of humor...) :chaud:

fretknot

Post by fretknot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:44 pm

I personally go with the oil and cod liver oil. I also eat a small jelly (the uk version of jelly, not jam) everyday as I was told that jelly helps nails.

Also, I was playing a lot of steel string for a few years which plays havoc on my natural nails so I had false nails fitted in a nail palour. The told my that playing would help massage and strenghten the nail bed. They recommened drumming my right hand nails on a table for a few minutes every hour or so if possible.

It is an ongoing problem for me. I have been playing and teaching for over 40 years and still suffer with my nails. Although compared to other guitarists I know I seem quite blessed in the nail department.

Arthur (UK)

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi Arthur,

Welcome to the forum. Since you've recently joined us, would you like to call in at the Introduce Yourself section some time and tell us a few words about yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome and pass on a few tips on how to get the best out of the forum?

By the way, I'm afraid I've had to disable the signature on your post as it contained URLs, which are not allowed in signatures. You can, however, enter a URL into your profile, so that it will be accessible via an icon on the right of your post. You can also use the Self Promotion area to advertise your playing if you wish.

Regards,

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

goinbaroke

Post by goinbaroke » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:15 am

Hasn't there always been a connection between fingernails and gelatin? Seems like I've heard this thru the years but don't know how much and how it's administered. Maybe eat a lot of jello??

wbajzek

Post by wbajzek » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:27 am

goinbaroke wrote:Hasn't there always been a connection between fingernails and gelatin? Seems like I've heard this thru the years but don't know how much and how it's administered. Maybe eat a lot of jello??
Just about every time I've seen this recommended, it's prefaced with "this doesn't work for me, but others say to try it..." I can't stomach the thought of eating gelatin anyway, so I keep up the cashew habit instead.

jdhunt

Post by jdhunt » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Regarding gelatin, I recently read a comment by a dermatologist who said that the strong nails claim was a marketing hype started by the Knox family when they first introduced ghe product in the late 1800's.

At any rate, for several months, I have been using two Burt's Bees products. I have a tube of Shea Butter Hand Repair Cream on my desk at work and a tube of Thouroughly Theraputic Honey & Grapeseed Oil Hand Cream at home. My wife bought the former, and when I wend to the store to get another tube to bring to work, I couldn't find it so bought the other one. I haven't had in splitting or chipping in my nails in quite a while now. And I've had a number of mishaps where I was amazed that the nails survived.

As others have said, I'm sure that it's the combination of keeping the nails moisturized and massaging the cuticles that does the trick and not any magic qualities of the product. But I like the fact that these are all natural and don't contain any alcohol.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”