Fingerpicks

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
FrederickB

Fingerpicks

Post by FrederickB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 am

I'm just wondering can CG be played with fingerpicks?

If so what fingerpicks are good to get?

owl

Re: Fingerpicks

Post by owl » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:26 am

The short answer is NO!
However, I'm sure someone has the long answer :roll:

Unless you are talking about false, or substitute nails, then I guess anything goes

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

kehern

Post by kehern » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:50 pm

Why use fingerpicks when you have nails? :D

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:41 pm

owl wrote:The short answer is NO!
However, I'm sure someone has the long answer :roll:
Owl
Yes - 'No way' :D

Fingerboard

Post by Fingerboard » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello, dear friends!

I have tried the "Alaska-pik" which is worn on each finger and is supposed to work like some kind of an extension of your RH fingernails. In my own humble opinion, they sound different. They feel different, too.

Oh, well! If you have nails, why don't just use them? If you have "weak nails", all there is to it is to play more and more, and you will soon notice that your fingernails are getting stronger.

More power to all!

yours,

Tony

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:47 pm

Fingerpicks on nylon strings sound horrible. I have heard a guy playing with picks on a classical guitar and all I heard was the clicking sound of the picks on the strings. Horrible!
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Fingerboard

Post by Fingerboard » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm

e.zurcher wrote:Fingerpicks on nylon strings sound horrible. I have heard a guy playing with picks on a classical guitar and all I heard was the clicking sound of the picks on the strings. Horrible!
Okay! So, I wasn't being honest when I described using fingerpicks as sounding "different". :lol:

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:01 pm

:lol:
Picks may work on steel strings, but not on nylon.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Michele

Post by Michele » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:53 pm

I just read something on this forum about thumb picks and the fact that they are acceptable on nylon strings. I would like to try one, but wonder if this method would be OK.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:07 pm

In order to use a thumb pick, you will have to change the angle of your thumb. The whole point is not to hear any difference in tone from p, i, m or a.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:11 pm

Michele wrote:I just read something on this forum about thumb picks and the fact that they are acceptable on nylon strings. I would like to try one, but wonder if this method would be OK.
No, it wouldn't if you are serious about learning classical guitar. Thumb without any nail would sound much better and you would be learning to use your thumb correctly. Those thumb picks require a slightly different action and you are going to get clackety-clack with the pick hitting moving strings rather than the flesh of the thumb dampening first.

ClassicMaster

Post by ClassicMaster » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:50 pm

e.zurcher wrote::lol:
Picks may work on steel strings, but not on nylon.
i agree 100% with you
using a pick on nylon strings sounds horrible
fingernails is the way to go on CG :wink:

rexgoliath

Post by rexgoliath » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:54 pm

If you really must use a pick... try a felt pick. It's less intrusive, but still not a substitute for a good thumb nail!
Cheers,
Rexgoliath

Lorette

Post by Lorette » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:25 pm

I’ve talked about this before somewhere on this forum. When my right hand thumb was caught between a heavy door and the jam, my thumbnail died. It took almost a year for it to grow back from the quick. During that time, I used product called “Alaska Pik”, a plastic finger pick that clamps over your finger nail.

:ongles: I had to customize it by filing the top so that it just protruded over the thumb like a nail and carving an arch on the bottom so as not to interfere with the thumb joint. I was able to play as well as with my natural thumbnail. It sounded quite fine.

Not that I'm advocating picks. Just my experience when I was missing a fingernail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lorette on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fretboardmusic

Post by fretboardmusic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:05 pm

I used fingerpicks/thumbpick for a while years ago on steel strings.They are louder,more articulate,and easier to build speed with than bare flesh.They make clicking noises,fall off if loose or cut down blood circulation if tight,and irritate your cuticles.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”