What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
morettiguitarist

What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 6:05 pm

After being given some strange looks at my local Pharmacy looking in the womans section at nail files I thought it best to come home an consult more seasoned CG players on the best type/brand of nail file..I know Christopher Parkening says to use Alpha9 (i couldn't even find these on line) I did find Revlon Crystal file which looked like it would do the trick and file gently, CP also mentions Diamond Deb..any thoughts?

morettiguitarist

Bill Moretti

oski79

Re: What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Post by oski79 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm

Most people I know, myself included, just use a plain old Revlon metal file, like you can get in any pharmacy. The file is for shaping--what's more important is the polishing. I know there are metal polishers available, but for me 500 grit sandpaper does just fine.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

remmus

Post by remmus » Wed May 06, 2009 6:32 pm

oski79 wrote:Most people I know, myself included, just use a plain old Revlon metal file, like you can get in any pharmacy. The file is for shaping--what's more important is the polishing. I know there are metal polishers available, but for me 500 grit sandpaper does just fine.
I totally ditto Oski.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

GuitaristOrdinate

Post by GuitaristOrdinate » Wed May 06, 2009 6:46 pm

I use just about any of the " diamond nail files " out there , I haven't found any of the diamond type of files that shreds the nail ( yet ) . Usually it's the one that's on sale that gets purchased .

morettiguitarist

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks, I know Christopher Parkening says in His Method vol 2 that metal files tear at the nail and that can cause damage..thats why he suggests the alpha9 or the diamond deb.. but I you're right in saying the final polishing is where it counts (I've been using 600 wet or dry)

oski79

Post by oski79 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 pm

You're fine with a regular file. If you'r concerned that your nails might tear, just be careful how vigorously you file. Parkening must either have very sensitive nails or he bought a small rasp by accident.
“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

morettiguitarist

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 7:10 pm

o.k. thanks everyone! :merci:

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed May 06, 2009 7:28 pm

I have a glass file that I love.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

b0908

Post by b0908 » Wed May 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Someone gave me a glass file recently and I really like it.

Just be careful because it works really well. The first couple of times I ended up with sorter nails than I intended.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I use a basic fine nail file, but only to do basic shaping once in a while.

What I really really like are the micromesh sheets sold by Stringsbymail I use all 4 from 3200 to 12000 grade one after the other every night before I practice or play cg.

flat3rd

Post by flat3rd » Wed May 06, 2009 8:01 pm

If you're looking for something that will last forever and if you have relatively strong nails, I and my teacher have used coarse knife sharpening stones for shaping nails. Followed of course by the 500 grit sandpaper. The stone is great because you can really cut a great angle with them, especially if you can find one about the size of a credit card.

Mrs Segovia

Post by Mrs Segovia » Wed May 06, 2009 8:03 pm

The harsh emery boards will cause tiny rips in the nails which will weaken them and make them break easily . I use a glass file they are less harsh on your nails and more hygienic then the regular emery boards you buy at the store .cleaning them is super easy .But be warned they file nails really well so u might end up with shorter nails .

PS :when filing nails do so in one direction only the back and forth moment will damage the nail

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Wed May 06, 2009 8:06 pm

I've always used a diamond nail file because I was told (long time ago by my teacher) that any other kind of file, especially the plain metal ones, will cause tiny tears in the nail surface and result in poor tone. I believe he was correct.

Annemarie

Post by Annemarie » Wed May 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:I have a glass file that I love.
Me too!

dogmatic

Post by dogmatic » Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:I've always used a diamond nail file because I was told (long time ago by my teacher) that any other kind of file, especially the plain metal ones, will cause tiny tears in the nail surface and result in poor tone. I believe he was correct.
Agreed. My nails were always in poor condition until I started to use a diamond dust file
( my wife found one in Boots with the brand name 'Ms Manicure' ). Now I get very few problems ( touch wood ).
In fact I've had more than one compliment on the condition of my nails from female customers. I think I'll open a nail bar - must be more profitable than bookselling.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”