What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Les Backshall
Luthier

Re: What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Post by Les Backshall » Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 pm

If you buy some lolly sticks, double sided tape and some different grades of grit or wet and dry paaper, you will be able to make your own - to your exact requirements. An outlay of a few pounds should keep you going for several years.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

morettiguitarist

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Annemarie wrote:
Steve Kutzer wrote:I have a glass file that I love.
Me too!
would this be the same as the crystal file by revlon?

morettiguitarist

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 10:14 pm

Mrs Segovia wrote:The harsh emery boards will cause tiny rips in the nails which will weaken them and make them break easily . I use a glass file they are less harsh on your nails and more hygienic then the regular emery boards you buy at the store .cleaning them is super easy .But be warned they file nails really well so u might end up with shorter nails .

PS :when filing nails do so in one direction only the back and forth moment will damage the nail
Thanks for the filing tip Mrs Segovia is it the crystal file by revlon that you use?

morettiguitarist

Bill Moretti

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed May 06, 2009 10:15 pm

morettiguitarist wrote:
Annemarie wrote:
Steve Kutzer wrote:I have a glass file that I love.
Me too!
would this be the same as the crystal file by revlon?
I don't know. I have two, one I got at a pharmacy and one that I assume I got from a guitar shop as it has a little guitar etched on it. It's shaped like an emory board, but is made of glass with some coarseness to it. As near as I can tell, both side are the same coarseness.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

morettiguitarist

Post by morettiguitarist » Wed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm

olarte wrote:I use a basic fine nail file, but only to do basic shaping once in a while.

What I really really like are the micromesh sheets sold by Stringsbymail I use all 4 from 3200 to 12000 grade one after the other every night before I practice or play cg.
Hey Olarte, I live in Cranston Rhode Island just over the border..we're neighbors!

magigemini777

Post by magigemini777 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm

olarte wrote:I use a basic fine nail file, but only to do basic shaping once in a while.

What I really really like are the micromesh sheets sold by Stringsbymail I use all 4 from 3200 to 12000 grade one after the other every night before I practice or play cg.
This advice is exactly what I was going to say, I am also noticing that since I started using micromesh, I very seldom get a chip on the end of my nail. I do keep some 500 grit in my wallet in case I have an accident, but the glassy surface edges on my nail-tip give an amazing sound. I think there are already many threads on here regarding this subject of nail files and polishing techniques, try a search, and good luck! :)

Michael

ps- you might check out Scott Tennant's Book/dvd "Pumping Nylon", a great source of info on this subject, and much more!

JCPO

Post by JCPO » Thu May 07, 2009 3:07 am

I also use a glass file when I need to shape the nail. After that, I use a Tropical Shine 3-way buffer. Here's a link to show you what they are. http://www.tropicalshine.com/products/707202.html. I use the emery side to smooth the nail edga then the white leather buffer followed by the grey leather buffer.

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Fri May 08, 2009 8:57 am

After trying many different methods over very many years, I have recently been using a Leighton Denny crystal file. This is far and away the best I have found.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

lapdog

Post by lapdog » Fri May 08, 2009 9:43 am

I use the Tropical Shine 4 way Buffer 707201. It ranges from coarse to super shiny.

Rick-in-Annapolis

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 am

b0908 wrote:Someone gave me a glass file recently and I really like it.

Just be careful because it works really well. The first couple of times I ended up with sorter nails than I intended.
Also be careful not to drop it. It WILL break!

Stephen Adams

Post by Stephen Adams » Tue May 12, 2009 3:15 pm

If you are willing to make a purchase of more than a couple of nail files to offset the cost of standard shipping, I recommend purchasing micro-mesh buffers and nail files from Scientific Instrument Services, Inc. They also have all of the various Micro-Mesh grades in various sheet sizes, rolls, and foam backed pads. For the cost of a couple of good bottles of wine, you could be set for at least a couple of years of nail preparation of course excluding various nail ointments, moisturizers, and treatments.

Olarte

Post by Olarte » Tue May 12, 2009 3:37 pm

stadams wrote:If you are willing to make a purchase of more than a couple of nail files to offset the cost of standard shipping, I recommend purchasing micro-mesh buffers and nail files from Scientific Instrument Services, Inc. They also have all of the various Micro-Mesh grades in various sheet sizes, rolls, and foam backed pads. For the cost of a couple of good bottles of wine, you could be set for at least a couple of years of nail preparation of course excluding various nail ointments, moisturizers, and treatments.
It's nice that they are in a nail file backing. However Stringsbymail sends a set of 4 sheets of micromesh from 3200, 4000, 6000 & 32000. The set costs about 6.00$ US. I like it because of the fine grades, and they are flexible pieces of cloth that you can wrap around a foam pad that they sell, or a library\credit card.

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Tue May 12, 2009 4:58 pm

I use a saphire nail file (my teacher has a diamond one) to shape, then 1200 wet and dry paper (as teacher stipulated) round the edges, then the edges buffed on the raw side of a leather book mark.
_..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__..--''(__

em11

Post by em11 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:13 pm

For initial nail shaping I use a Jonel branded metal nail shaper file and then fine tune it with various levels of Micro Mesh paper from Strings by Mail.

rabidmuskrat

Post by rabidmuskrat » Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 pm

I've been filing my nails for years for vanity- I like having nice nails, and when my nails are nice I don't bite them! Since I started playing, the only bummer is I can't get a manicure, or use polish on my nails, so I just get really good pedicures instead. :D

I was actually surprised that people use sandpaper! I use a regular nail file - coarse end to file them to the right length, then the fine side to shape them. Then I use a 4-way buffing/shining file so they're really smooth and shiny. You can find them at any drug store, beauty supply store, and sometimes even the dollar store.

Tearing the nail is actually common - I used to have really weak nails, and they tended to bend and tear.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”