What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
fatwarry

Re: What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Postby fatwarry » Tue May 12, 2009 6:22 pm

I also use a glass file when I need to shape the nail. I bought it on the advice of one of the many nail salons around town. I was fed up with the sapphire ones wearing out after a few months. After shaping, I use a 3-way buffer - a "Nail Glosser" from Boots (only of interest to those in the UK, I expect). Having gone through this regime the edge of mail nails is visibly shiny if I hold them to the light at the right angle. Oh, and I agree with the earlier poster who said to be careful the first time you use a glass filre. They remove material very quickly.
"I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours" - Bob Dylan (1963)

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Wed May 13, 2009 5:21 pm

Ceramic files are the very best you can get, surpassing even crystal files. They are so fine, they are like using high grade sandpaper so that normal use automatically gives that glassy state. The second best file I've had that again is at least as good as crystal is the Revlon Laser file, which I think is ceramic but has enough aluminum in it to look metallic. I had a crystal or glass file that afte one year filed unevenly from selective loss of grit, but the Revlon Laser like any ceramic will last forever.

mark-o

Postby mark-o » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

My vote is for the glass file, and some 500 grit sandpaper.

Hybrid

Postby Hybrid » Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 am

Micro-mesh! Strings by Mail. :D

Brad Little

Postby Brad Little » Mon May 18, 2009 1:35 pm

As others have said, I use the Revlon Diamond file, if only because they work ok and are available almost anywhere. I also finish with fine grit sandpaper, 400, 800, and 1000/1200 usually. I don't use it, but if you really want a fine finish, I found an extremely fine sharpening stone a few years back, it was from a barber shop and was used as the final stage of sharpening a strait razor before stropping it on leather.
Brad

clarksvilleal

Postby clarksvilleal » Thu May 28, 2009 2:30 am

Brad Little wrote: ... I don't use it, but if you really want a fine finish, I found an extremely fine sharpening stone a few years back, it was from a barber shop and was used as the final stage of sharpening a strait razor before stropping it on leather.
Brad

That would probably be a Hard Arkansas stone. It is a natural stone, usually black, used also by woodworkers for sharpening chisels and carving tools. You can find them at any good woodworking tool outlet, including mail-order/online stores such as Woodcraft, Garrett Wade, etc. BTW, Hard Arkansas stones tend to be very pricey.

There are also Soft Arkansas stones, usually white, which are a little coarser than the Hard Arkansas stones, but still very fine compared to most other sharpening stones. And they are a little less pricey than the Hard Arkansas stones.

Rich J

Postby Rich J » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 am

I just picked up a crystal file and I love it. Nice change.

Eldert

Postby Eldert » Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Rough shaping: diamond file (standard at your local pharmacy)
Fine shaping: glass file (same source)
Polishing: polishing cloth ( "stringsbymail" or guitar specialty shop)

Eldert

ScottK89

Postby ScottK89 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:38 pm

Whatever's at the pharmacy- revlon, I guess, plus 2 grades of sandpaper then my jeans..

Question- how long do files last for you guys? After a month or so, mine seem worthless.. (and I only use them 2-3 times per week)

clarksvilleal

Postby clarksvilleal » Sat May 30, 2009 5:09 pm

ScottK89 wrote:Whatever's at the pharmacy- revlon, I guess, plus 2 grades of sandpaper then my jeans..

Question- how long do files last for you guys? After a month or so, mine seem worthless.. (and I only use them 2-3 times per week)

"Diamonds are Forever." At least my Revlon Diamond files seem to last forever. I use them for rough filing and shaping. And I use a glass file for fine filing/shaping. I don't know how long glass files last. I have had one for almost a year now and it seems to still be as good as when new.

On the other hand I had a sapphire file which only lasted a month or two before it was worthless, so I will not get sapphire files any more.

gtrgabriel

Postby gtrgabriel » Sun May 31, 2009 12:07 am

I use a "regular" emory board to shape the nails. However, I use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper for the final touch.
I buy the sandpaper at an auto parts store for about $5 for 4 or 5 sheets. Those will last a long time.
In fact, the more you use the same piece, the smoother your nails get.

arby

Postby arby » Sun May 31, 2009 10:44 am

morettiguitarist wrote:would this be the same as the crystal file by revlon?

No, glass files and crystal files are not the same.
My favourite is glass, but due to their thickness they don't reach the underside of the nail as well as a diamond file.

habbash

Postby habbash » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:10 am

Hi erverone,
I also use a glassfile for shaping and very fine sandpaper for polishing.

My teacher gave me a very good tip:
Fold the sandpaper and lay it over your b-string. Hold it with your left hand and "play" about 100 (free)strokes with each nail on the sandpaper. So your nails will get the perfect shape for playing. Also your sound will be a very very smooth one, because all the microscopic grooves on your nail will have exactly the right direction.

twistedblues

Postby twistedblues » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 pm

habbash wrote:Hi erverone,
I also use a glassfile for shaping and very fine sandpaper for polishing.

My teacher gave me a very good tip:
Fold the sandpaper and lay it over your b-string. Hold it with your left hand and "play" about 100 (free)strokes with each nail on the sandpaper. So your nails will get the perfect shape for playing. Also your sound will be a very very smooth one, because all the microscopic grooves on your nail will have exactly the right direction.

Interesting!

Anyone know if 400 or 600 grit sandpaper is okay? For some reason the local hardware stores skip on the 500??

simonm
Amateur luthier

Postby simonm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 pm

twistedblues wrote:
Anyone know if 400 or 600 grit sandpaper is okay? For some reason the local hardware stores skip on the 500??

Beware that there is more than one grading scale for sandpaper. ...

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”