What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Jack Douglas

Re: What kind/ Brand of nail file is best?

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:24 am

My favorite is from SBM called Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File that I use for shaping and filing under the nails a ramp at a 45 degree angle then buffing with a micromesh kit also from SBM. I just purchased some Norton fine jewelry polish paper to smooth under my nails. It's thinner than micromesh and easier to get under the nails. I can fold a piece over the file to do very detailed fine buffing. I got the paper from Pamna Tools.
Hauser III 2014!

meouzer

Post by meouzer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:09 pm

I think Strings By Mail has paid a lot of attention to the Delcamp nail forum, and they started selling products based on Delcamp talk. Now their line is well established and you can't go wrong with their ruby file ( a type of ceramic file), their glass file (smooth yet more powerful than the ceramic for taking off more nail), and their MicroMesh (for making the nails very smooth). With MicroMesh get the associated foam block as this automatically helps smooth underneath the nail, without you even realizing it.

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Strings by mail nail kit: https://www.google.com/search?q=strings ... TF-8#spf=1
Not a commercial link.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Tue May 09, 2017 1:44 am

The fine sandpaper used for wet/dry finish sanding, 220, 400, 600 ... uses a grit of carbide which is really hard and sharp. I see people do that thing where they fold sandpaper over a string and then free stroke, and it makes me wince!!

The grit itself is WAY stronger than the cheap bonding agent used to glue it to the backing, and this type of sandpaper quickly loses it's effectiveness when the grit gets knocked off. Do you really want that happening over the soundboard, or anywhere near the sound hole of your precious guitar??? What do you think happens the next time you lovingly wipe down your finish with a gentle microfiber cloth and there's a dust of carbide grit getting caught up in the cloth? Maybe my imagination is too intense... A lot of people who know what they're doing seem to do this, but I never will.

I still use fine wet/dry paper (600 grit), just nowhere near my guitar. I hit the backing with a quick spray of adhesive and tack it to a tongue depressor, then trim it to make a custom fine grit file.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 am

oski79 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2009 6:14 pm
Most people I know, myself included, just use a plain old Revlon metal file, like you can get in any pharmacy. The file is for shaping--what's more important is the polishing. I know there are metal polishers available, but for me 500 grit sandpaper does just fine.
I am with you: The file is not that important. What you use afterwards is what counts. I actually I use my glass file mostly on the left hand these days to keep these nails short. Does do much damage in next to no time on the right hand.

Regarding sand paper, I have 1000 grit. My tutor says way too coarse. She uses 12000 (she showed me - not a misprint - 12x higher than I have). So I need to find a hardware store that stocks that or something close.

Upps didn't realise that this was an old 2009 thread that got "revived".

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm

joachim,
Your teacher is probably using micromesh, and the two numbering systems are different... so that math is suspect.
You can find a conversion chart here.
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/conversion.htm
Steve

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am

I used to use glass files and sandpaper, but I now use almost exclusively the rubber backed nail files common in nail salons. For me they are the fastest and most accurate way to file/shape/polish my nails. I use a variety of grits typically starting with a 100 or 180 for filing/shaping and then a 600 for smoothing, and finally finishing with a 3000 for polishing.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”