Rico nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Jamie

Rico nails

Post by Jamie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:30 am

Hey guys, i have recently bought artificial nails from Rico Stover, and I have to say they work great. My nails tend to curve downward, makng them catch on the strings too much. These nails are reuseable, and easily removable, and I would say they reliably stay on for at least an hour of constant playing. On top of that, they dont damage your natural nails.
My tone finally sounds consistantly good, although the nails do look a bit silly. It has always been a problem for me to have long nails because I use my hands alot for work, so this has been a great solution for me.
Highly recommended if you have problems with your nails.

Azalais

Post by Azalais » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:39 am

How is the adhesive? Is it really non-toxic and easy to remove without damaging your real ones??

Jamie

Post by Jamie » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:01 pm

Yes, the adhesive comes off very easily. He gives specific instructions along with the kit. The kit is called "the emercency nail kit" and it can be used if a nail breaks, but as I mentioned, I am now using it to keep my natural nails short. Plus the tone I am getting is alot more consistent.
The adhesive is a 'glue dot' which comes between 2 sheets of plastic; you peel off one side and stick it to your nail, then peel off the other side and press the artificial nail onto your nail.
I know I sound like I must be getting paid to say this, but of course I am not, I am just totally amazed at how simple yet effective these things are. You still have to shape them to your nail, but once they are shaped you can use them for ages. The adhesive lasts for at least a few hours, and you use a piece of tape to hold the nail down by your cuticle just in case.

GG Guitar

Post by GG Guitar » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:11 pm

As a medical student, I can identify with your desire not to have long nails. Unfortunately it is incompatible with some careers.

I would really like to try these Rico nails. I also have a new idea myself for solving this problem. I am going to think about developing it over the next few months to see if it would work..... :wink:

Lane

Post by Lane » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:18 am

I use Rico nails also and everything Jamie says about them is true. I try to keep natural nails but they break at work. Right now I'm down to half a nail on my "a" finger. They work great! I have a couple of observations:

1. Make sure the Rico nail is sufficiently long so that your natural nail doesn’t cause a click. I think the Rico nails mention this.

2. I have really dry nails, comes from wearing latex gloves in clean room work, and I removed the thumb nail too fast and a little of the nail peeled of - not serious at all. If I would have followed the directions this wouldn't have happened - I'm a man, give me a break. :lol: Break? Nail? I'm on a roll. :lol: :lol: In order to remove them I soak in water for a couple of minutes - my idea. If you follow Rico’s method to remove the nails you shouldn’t have any problems.

3. I have used the same glue dot several times. It's recommended that you use the glue dot only once and I agree with that because using them more than once you have to keep resetting them and sometimes they fall off. For practicing that's fine, but for performance always follow the recommendation.

4. I used two glue dots for the thumbnail.

Overall, I highly recommend them

sincerely, Lane

GG Guitar

Post by GG Guitar » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 am

A few days ago I went out and bought a selection of bits and pieces to experiment with. I need nails that are quick to put on, easy to take off, reusable, cheap and cause no damage to my real nails.

For me, real nails are both difficult (my nails are not very strong) and impractical (I'm a med student and need to have short tidy nails for practical reasons and appearances sake).

I bought a few ping pong balls and cut nail shapes, filed them to a suitable profile and applied them with "Sticky Dots" and also with double sided sticky tape. I was surprised by the strength of the tape - it held the nails very well. Unfortunately when taking them off, I had to scrape it off the nail and the ping-pong ball - time consuming and messy.

The sticky dots were a revelation. I bought two types - "peelable" (too peelable - didn't hold!) and "permanent" (very firm hold, but easy to remove). The permanent dots are great - on peeling them off, they remain stuck to the underside of the artificial nail and leave the real nail clean. They are reusable 3-4 times before they lose their adhesion.

I wasn't too happy with the ping pong balls, though. The tone was too metallic for me, and the shape of them didn't match my nail profile very well. So I went in hunt of an alternative.

I went to a local pharmacy (drugstore for those in the USA!) and bought the cheapest set of artificial nails they had - simple white ones, mixed sizes for £1.50 (about $2.50 USD). The profile of these is a great match for the natural nail. My nails are rather irregular, but these get enough purchase overall to hold very tightly with a sticky dot.

So there you have it. I have reached nail nirvana for the princely sum of around £2.50 (£1.50 for the nails, £1 for 64 sticky dots).

These sticky dots are available in stationery and craft stores. I highly recommend that you try this method if you have problem nails, or need removable nails due to work or other activities.

Basically it is the Rico nails product for a fraction of the price. :wink:

Classicalguitarman15

Post by Classicalguitarman15 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:34 pm

I broke a nail before a recording I had to make and tried the rico nail. I have to say I wasn't to fond of it and took it off. I ended up playing without that nail I it turned out great.

Stringlover

Re: Rico nails

Post by Stringlover » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Rico nails seem to work reasonably well. The glue comes off the native nail completely without residues.

Dustin McKinney

Re:

Post by Dustin McKinney » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:19 am

GG Guitar wrote:A few days ago I went out and bought a selection of bits and pieces to experiment with. I need nails that are quick to put on, easy to take off, reusable, cheap and cause no damage to my real nails.

For me, real nails are both difficult (my nails are not very strong) and impractical (I'm a med student and need to have short tidy nails for practical reasons and appearances sake).

I bought a few ping pong balls and cut nail shapes, filed them to a suitable profile and applied them with "Sticky Dots" and also with double sided sticky tape. I was surprised by the strength of the tape - it held the nails very well. Unfortunately when taking them off, I had to scrape it off the nail and the ping-pong ball - time consuming and messy.

The sticky dots were a revelation. I bought two types - "peelable" (too peelable - didn't hold!) and "permanent" (very firm hold, but easy to remove). The permanent dots are great - on peeling them off, they remain stuck to the underside of the artificial nail and leave the real nail clean. They are reusable 3-4 times before they lose their adhesion.

I wasn't too happy with the ping pong balls, though. The tone was too metallic for me, and the shape of them didn't match my nail profile very well. So I went in hunt of an alternative.

I went to a local pharmacy (drugstore for those in the USA!) and bought the cheapest set of artificial nails they had - simple white ones, mixed sizes for £1.50 (about $2.50 USD). The profile of these is a great match for the natural nail. My nails are rather irregular, but these get enough purchase overall to hold very tightly with a sticky dot.

So there you have it. I have reached nail nirvana for the princely sum of around £2.50 (£1.50 for the nails, £1 for 64 sticky dots).

These sticky dots are available in stationery and craft stores. I highly recommend that you try this method if you have problem nails, or need removable nails due to work or other activities.

Basically it is the Rico nails product for a fraction of the price. :wink:
Would you mind sharing a picture of these "sticky dots?"
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

pogmoor

Re: Re:

Post by pogmoor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:41 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:Would you mind sharing a picture of these "sticky dots?"
The post is from 2006 and the fact that the poster's name is in black lettering indicates someone who is no longer a member of the forum.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:07 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:Would you mind sharing a picture of these "sticky dots?"
The post is from 2006 and the fact that the poster's name is in black lettering indicates someone who is no longer a member of the forum.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know that. On another topic, I visited your website. You are a remarkable individual! What is your background/education in music?
Kremona Fiesta FC

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Dustin McKinney wrote:Thanks for the info! I didn't know that. On another topic, I visited your website. You are a remarkable individual! What is your background/education in music?
I'm basically just an amateur who has been playing guitar for 50 years or so (with breaks) though after I retired I did study with the UK Open University and get a masters degree in music. This has helped me a lot in my approach to researching ancient music. If you like my site, keep your eye on it. I've got a lot more pieces that I hope to post once I get around to it!
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:43 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Dustin McKinney wrote:Thanks for the info! I didn't know that. On another topic, I visited your website. You are a remarkable individual! What is your background/education in music?
I'm basically just an amateur who has been playing guitar for 50 years or so (with breaks) though after I retired I did study with the UK Open University and get a masters degree in music. This has helped me a lot in my approach to researching ancient music. If you like my site, keep your eye on it. I've got a lot more pieces that I hope to post once I get around to it!
I will definitely do that! I direct choirs as a profession, and I have a fond place in my heart for early music. I received my masters in music theory with an emphasis on the analysis of composition practices in the Renaissance era. Thank you for your work and passion!
Kremona Fiesta FC

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”