" -Hooked" - nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
TerryM

" -Hooked" - nails

Post by TerryM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I have grown my right hand nails so they are just a little longer than the finger ends but I have a problem. As the nails grow they want to bend at the tip around the ends of the fingers. The result is that they act like hooks when they strike the strings and make free strokes difficult to play. Other than playing without nails I can't think of how to rectify this. Can anyone suggest how to alleviate the problem please? :(

TerryM

Casey

Re: " -Hooked" - nails

Post by Casey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm

This is what my i and m fingernails do as well (but not a for some reason).

It's a challege keeping the tip filed down to prevent hooking since if the ramps on the side get worn down as well there's not enough nail anywhere to use easily. So far I just try to keep them painted with nail glue to prevent wear as best I can and keep the tip filed where it nees to be to prevent the hooking, hoping for the best.

I read somewhere that hard tension strings wear nails faster so I've been keeping a set of mediums on one of my guitars and alternating between them.

Marc Pilon

Post by Marc Pilon » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:37 am

Terry,

My index nail does exactly what you describe if I file it to match the contour of the finger. The problem is compounded further as the nail grows longer.

The solutions that have worked for me is to file the nail in a ramp (a la Scott Tennant) and keep the nails short.

Good luck to you.

Marc

Stephen Adams

Post by Stephen Adams » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:38 pm

I haven't tried these but they look like they could work. Or develop a ramp that works well for your style.

Richard Wynn

Post by Richard Wynn » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:10 pm

Marc Pilon wrote:Terry,

My index nail does exactly what you describe if I file it to match the contour of the finger. The problem is compounded further as the nail grows longer.

The solutions that have worked for me is to file the nail in a ramp (a la Scott Tennant) and keep the nails short.

Good luck to you.

Marc
I have a the same problem and the ramp works best for me as well

Richard

Tedi

Post by Tedi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:47 am

TerryM wrote:I have grown my right hand nails so they are just a little longer than the finger ends but I have a problem. As the nails grow they want to bend at the tip around the ends of the fingers. The result is that they act like hooks when they strike the strings and make free strokes difficult to play. Other than playing without nails I can't think of how to rectify this. Can anyone suggest how to alleviate the problem please? :(

TerryM
Hi Terry,

May be try filing your nails straight may help.

ewhip

Post by ewhip » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:17 pm

I have this problem on almost all of my nails and it's incredibly frustrating. My hooks are quite severe. The only thing I've found that works for me is a "reverse ramp". It's the same shape as a traditional ramp, but it slants down in the opposite direction. I saw it mentioned here one day and gave it a shot and it helped. I still don't really keep my nails very long (it's just not a viable option for me in my daily, non-cg life), but that shape does help when I let them grow out a bit.

Scot Tremblay
Luthier

Post by Scot Tremblay » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:56 pm

A solution for me to this problem has been a coat or three of a quality top coat nail polish (clear). As it cures it seems to pull the nail into a natural curve across the width and eliminates the hook.

There are a number of brands that are good but you would have to experiment a little to see which you prefer. Check with your manicure expert or significent woman in you life for more info.
Scot Tremblay Guitars

"One picture is worth a thousand words. So, for me, one good note put where it should be put, will say what it will take some people many notes to say. ~B.B. King, 1986

SpiritSinger

Post by SpiritSinger » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:17 am

I realize this is an older thread, but it caught my attention. I have had occasions when my nails curl. I noticed that they seemed to curl later in the evening, whereas after a shower or earlier in the day not nearly as much. What I discovered was that I was dehydrated. If I maintain hydration, I don't seem to have as much trouble. I think you guys are probably describing a more severe curl than what I have experienced, but thought I'd throw in my "2 cents".

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 am

TerryM wrote:I have grown my right hand nails so they are just a little longer than the finger ends but I have a problem. As the nails grow they want to bend at the tip around the ends of the fingers. The result is that they act like hooks when they strike the strings and make free strokes difficult to play. Other than playing without nails I can't think of how to rectify this. Can anyone suggest how to alleviate the problem please?
My solution to this problem is described here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50903&hilit=+candle#p549920

Mousey

Post by Mousey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm having a problem with my downward sloping nails and am finding it all very frustrating. I'm currently trying nail strengthener but I suspect I could spend years just trying different combinations of the supplements, hardeners, falsies and heating/bending ideas floating around without getting anywhere.

steve_c

Post by steve_c » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 am

Hi,
I've just joined this board having taken up CG again after a 10 year layoff (but I do play fingerstyle steel strung). I have suffered from hooked nails on and off for several years and am having problems executing strokes. I'm reading this thread with interest. My nail problems are caused by psoriasis which can cause 'ripples' in the nail as well as hooks at the tips. I have tried tissue paper and superglue on the nail surface with some degree of success. A bit messy but it gives some body to the nail tip after I have filed the hook away. It's good to know that other guitarists have found effective solutions.

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Post by Vito Simplicio » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:48 am

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Delcamp. I'm glad to hear that you find our forum useful.

Now that you joined, please take the time to introduce yourself here.

:merci: Vito
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

dbeau

Post by dbeau » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Only a thought/observance from my personal experience - age = 70.
A little over a year ago I went through a radical prostatectomy after a hormonal treatment which completely terminated testosterone production.
Once testosterone levels were back to normal my nails have improved with elimination of ridges and less hooking - although they are kept short.
Testosterone is important in bone and hair health as well as general strength and vitality SO could be a factor for nail health.
Men's testosterone production steadily declines beginning in middle age and most guys are not aware of a deficiency as it's effects are mistakenly attributed to "growing older".
Just a thought!

Sean

Post by Sean » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:24 pm

steve_c wrote:Hi,
I've just joined this board having taken up CG again after a 10 year layoff (but I do play fingerstyle steel strung). I have suffered from hooked nails on and off for several years and am having problems executing strokes. I'm reading this thread with interest. My nail problems are caused by psoriasis which can cause 'ripples' in the nail as well as hooks at the tips. I have tried tissue paper and superglue on the nail surface with some degree of success. A bit messy but it gives some body to the nail tip after I have filed the hook away. It's good to know that other guitarists have found effective solutions.
Steve, could you tell us how you go about using tissue paper to build up the nail tip?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”