The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
pogmoor

The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Postby pogmoor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I just found a great product at my local chemist shop - described as a 7-way curved nail block it's just what I need for keeping my nails in shape - it's even got handy hints printed on each face :lol:

FileS.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

JohnGrinsted

Re: The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Postby JohnGrinsted » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Are you allowed to share the name of the Chemist?

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 pm

I found the same file a while back in a local department store.

It's great to have in your case. It's thick enough that it won't fall out of the compartment in your case like a flat metal file could. It's also practical to have all of the gradations from coarse to polish.

One downside is that the material wears out quickly, so only use it for emergencies. Another is that you can't fit it underneath the nail very well, which is a place I like get to to clean up any extra nail "spurs".

Otherwise it's well worth having!

Alan

Sean

Postby Sean » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:24 pm

Alan, how much did you pay (if you don't mind my asking)? That thing looks interesting - maybe doubles as a boomerang? How coarse and fine is it?

kat

Postby kat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm

That is pretty cool.

I've been using polishing sticks from the model train section of a local hobby shop.

Sean

Postby Sean » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:23 am

I dunno. If it doesn't really fit under the nail very well, it doesn't strike me as being very useful. Or maybe I'm too cautious . . .

jitterbug

Postby jitterbug » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 am

I find the folding 4-way buffers very useful, when folded fits nicely into your pocket.

images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Richard Christie

Postby Richard Christie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm

imo its another disposable petrochemical plastic product with limited life span destined for early dispatch to a land fill.
I'll stick to permanent materials. Sorry to **** on the parade :)
The guitar, causes dreams to weep.
The sobs of lost souls, escape from its round mouth.
And like the tarantula, it weaves a great star
To snare the sighs,
Which float inside its dark wooden cistern
- Lorca

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 pm

pogmoor wrote:I just found a great product at my local chemist shop - described as a 7-way curved nail block it's just what I need for keeping my nails in shape - it's even got handy hints printed on each face :lol:

FileS.jpg

I've got these from China through fleabay: three pieces for less than 5$ and free shipping. Just search for 3*7-way Nail Art Colorful Polish Buffing Buffer.

But I don't find them as useful as these: 12x ALL-in-One 4 Way Buffer they cost the same and are also free shipping, and they work better for me.

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

pogmoor

Postby pogmoor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Richard Christie wrote:imo its another disposable petrochemical plastic product with limited life span destined for early dispatch to a land fill.
I'll stick to permanent materials. Sorry to **** on the parade :)

That's a good point - but what do you use for the final polish of your nails? It's very easy to find coarse files in 'permanent' materials, but less easy to come across very fine ones.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

Richard Christie

Postby Richard Christie » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

pogmoor wrote:That's a good point - but what do you use for the final polish of your nails?

I use 1500 grit wet and dry emery paper, and leather if I'm feeling fussy which isn't often. Smooth as a baby's b*m. :D
The guitar, causes dreams to weep.
The sobs of lost souls, escape from its round mouth.
And like the tarantula, it weaves a great star
To snare the sighs,
Which float inside its dark wooden cistern
- Lorca

Cherubini

Postby Cherubini » Sun May 08, 2011 7:27 pm

I've been using them for a while now. Never saw a curved one. Neat! They're 2 or 3 bucks in make up dep'ts of drug stores or cosmetic stores. They work wonderfully and have 6 separate grits, the last couple are so fine that you can't sense any grit, but they polish your nail tips unlike even 1200 grit wetordry.
p.s. to the person who groused about "they're plastic and therefore more pollution", I'm more concerned with political pollution than with land-fill pollution by a few nail files.

cherubini__

wianno

Postby wianno » Mon May 09, 2011 7:02 am

I've found the Oasis Nail Shaper to be quite good as a nail polisher and use a coarse emery board like the black ones available at drug stores and the big discount marts to cut down excess nail growth.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Postby James Lister » Mon May 09, 2011 8:22 am

One word - Micromesh!
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Les Backshall
Luthier

Postby Les Backshall » Mon May 09, 2011 9:37 am

Personally, I file to the final shape with an ordinary nail file and then do the final smoothing and buffing with a few grades of emery paper. Cut a small square, fold it once or twice and it will follow the shape of your nails. A few sheets should last you a couple of years at least. You can also get some double sided tape and stick it to old credit cards to make thin, flexible files.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”