The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Trondis23

Re: The ideal guitarists' nail file???

Post by Trondis23 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:36 pm

This is a nail file for guitarists
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nic

Post by Nic » Sat May 14, 2011 12:50 am

Oh god those look so good :D I might try to look for one, so handy.

KeMe

Post by KeMe » Mon May 16, 2011 1:46 am

For me, it's like the continuous search for the Holy Grail of nail files. That look really great, where on earth did your find it?
Are the files on the little wire-things?

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

Trondis23

Post by Trondis23 » Mon May 16, 2011 11:21 am

I bought this many years ago. I think it is made in Germany. The "strings" are sapphire nail files. It is easier to get the right shape of your nails this way. You just "play" as normally.

rikart

Post by rikart » Mon May 16, 2011 1:03 pm

I think Eric's banana-shaped boomerang-a-file is about the best I've seen! My current, and hitherto favourite file, is a brick-shaped block-a-file which I purchased from a health care shop which in the middle ages might have been known as Corpus Emporium.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HrothgarZachachaeus

Post by HrothgarZachachaeus » Mon May 16, 2011 5:18 pm

wianno wrote:I've found the Oasis Nail Shaper to be quite good as a nail polisher and use a coarse emery board like the black ones available at drug stores and the big discount marts to cut down excess nail growth.

This is the best thing I have found as well. I ordered one from SBM and it's time for a new one. Did you find it for sale in a store somewhere or did you order yours?

Thanks!
"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."
-David St. Hubbins

jon17

Post by jon17 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:34 pm

I tried one of those glass nailfiles recently. Ita major claim was that one could use it in both directions without causing problems. Unfortunately, I can't recommend them for CG players as they seem to cause more problems than they solve. The flaking on the "a" nail got so bad I almost had to start from scratch (no pun).

Now I stick with one of those four-way buffers, 2000 grit emery paper and a good polish-over to shine up.

milosmilostivi

Post by milosmilostivi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:50 am

pogmoor wrote:I just found a great product at my local chemist shop - described as a 7-way curved nail block it's just what I need for keeping my nails in shape - it's even got handy hints printed on each face :lol:
FileS.jpg
I am using the similar one and I can say that it is the best so far I could found.
It has 7 sides (steps):
Step 1: Coarse grit to shape nail
Step 2: Medium grit to refine the shape
Step 3: Fine grit to smooth edges of nail
Step 4: Condition nail
Step 5: Smooth nail
Step 6: Nail buffer
Step 7: Polish & shine

Jeffrey.C

Post by Jeffrey.C » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:32 am

James Lister wrote:One word - Micromesh!

This. I've had my set of micromesh and glass nail file for nearly a year now and it still works as good as new :D
"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music." - Gustav Mahler

bchi123

Post by bchi123 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:02 am

I use a glass file for general shaping, but then sandpaper (at least 2000 grit) to do the fine sanding. I like the glass file, cuz it will rarely get unsharp for filing.
When words leave off, music begins. ~Heinrich Heine

wianno

Post by wianno » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:11 am

Hrothgar,

I get my Oasis Nail Shapers from SBM also. As for coarse grinders, I've switched to Sally Hansen files, which I found at K-mart. They are industrial strength tools that come in tough plastic cases.

Jack

nickpaulley

Post by nickpaulley » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:35 am

I'm inclined to mutter a profanity...

wow - so seriously, the general opinion seems to be therefore that getting an extremely polished finish is worthwhile for tone? I struggle to avoid chips and dents and make do with a clip and a buff but having said that my tone is occasionally a bit thin.....

Nick

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:49 am

nickpaulley wrote:I'm inclined to mutter a profanity...

wow - so seriously, the general opinion seems to be therefore that getting an extremely polished finish is worthwhile for tone? I struggle to avoid chips and dents and make do with a clip and a buff but having said that my tone is occasionally a bit thin.....

Nick
Definitely worth the extra effort - rough nails can make the best guitar sound bad. I use micromesh, and go all the way up to 12,000 grade to get a really smooth polished finish. Only takes 4 or 5 minutes, and you'll notice a big improvement in tone, and your treble strings will last longer as well (rough nails = rough strings).

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

mc1

i love my tiny nail file!

Post by mc1 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:32 pm

tiny_nail_file.jpg
:wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Too big to carry around I am afraid.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”